Selling house without C.O. and permits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang54

Selling my mother's house, it has no C.O.(certificate of occupancy) and/or permits for many additions done over the years. In addition, the local fire marshal is a friend of mine and a few months ago when I knew she was thinking of putting it up for sale had him come over.
He said that there are a few fire violations that needed to be done before he could give me a c.o. for the fireplace. Also the Main Electrical line coming from the pole to the house is 50 years old and an electrician told me that it is frayed, (you can see this) and that it needs to be replaced along with a new electrical box. This also requires a permit.
Now that we have a buyer, they are going to hire an engineer.

Will these issues stop the sale of the house? Someone told me that a bank will give a mortgage as long as the buyer agrees to the repairs and assures the bank that the permits will be taken care of. As is sale. (?) I don't agree with that.

My lawyer told me to just sit back and see what they come back with, he said, they may just not say anything and buy the house as is.

How can a bank, especially today, give a mortgage to a house without permits, fire violations, etc/??? It is ludicrous. I don't know what to do.
I wanted to fix everything, and everyone is telling me no. My local township takes about 6 months to get a permit, so I am thinking that these buyers will not wait that long IF the bank requires permits and c.o.'s.

Please advise. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back