Selling cars of deceased father

MNPSMOD3

Jurisdiction
Alabama
My father passed away in May, he lived in Alabama. My mother has Alzheimers and I have POA for her. All of their financial accounts, house, rental properties, etc. were all set up in joint tenancy which made transferring them to mom and/or selling them a breeze. Since all of their major assets were transfer on death, joint tenancy, etc., we were told by an AL lawyer that we wouldn't need to go through probate. Now we are down to the two cars - I guess since mom hadn't been driving when he bought them, dad titled them in his name only, with clear Alabama titles, no liens. The cars are maybe worth $20,000 each.

As soon as dad passed, we moved mom to an assisted living in another state to be closer to one of us kids. The house in AL has been cleared out and is on the market. We brought both cars to TX and they are parked in the parking garage at her assisted living facility. I was planning on selling at least one of them last week when I visited TX, but that's when I realized it was titled in dad's name only.

Both AL and TX have Next of Kin Affidavits or Affidavits of Heirship. My mom was his wife and my brother and I are his only children. Brother and I both agree that the cars need to be sold since mom has no use for them, except for their monetary value. There are no second wives or stepchildren or half siblings either. Am i supposed to do the AL next of Kin Affidavit to transfer it into mom's name with an Alabama title, then sell them on her behalf? Or can I just fill out the TX Affidavit of Heirship and use that to sell to the new buyer? Will TX balk at an out of state title being transferred this way? Mom is still somewhat aware, so if she needs to sign it, she certainly can, though I tend to sign everything for her.

If you can't tell, I rarely sell a car myself. Our attorney wanted $300 to discuss this and I feel like it's a matter of just understanding what form I need to use, not some complicated legal matter that I would gladly pay for.

Last edited:
$300 to make sure you don't make a $20k mistake? Seems like it would be money well spent to me.

The cars are part of the estate. They need to be included in the value of the estate and the estate needs to be probated. (This is true for Alabama.)

The cars are maybe worth $20,000 each.

And you don't want to spend $300 for legal advice to ensure that these $20k x 2 transactions get done correctly? Ever heard the expression "Penny wise and pound foolish"?

Am i supposed to do the AL next of Kin Affidavit to transfer it into mom's name with an Alabama title, then sell them on her behalf? Or can I just fill out the TX Affidavit of Heirship and use that to sell to the new buyer? Will TX balk at an out of state title being transferred this way?

If you really don't want to spend a few pennies to get this right, try calling the DMV in the state where the cars are registered and see if you can get someone to steer you in the right direction.

Or can I just fill out the TX Affidavit of Heirship and use that to sell to the new buyer?

Ever hear of Occam's Razor - paraphrased as "The simplest method is the best method." Otherwise known as the KISS principle.

Use the TX affidavit of heirship. The worst that can happen is the DMV says no and you're back to square one.

I do suggest, however, that you get the vehicles titled in your name before selling.

You may find that buyers balk at having to do something they don't understand any more than you do.

The cars are each worth ~$20k (per the OP).
~$20k x 2 = ~$40k.
Alabama's small estate process maxes out at $25k.
The OP should speak to another attorney.

EDIT: I suspect that the OP didn't mention the ownership status and value of the cars to the attorney they spoke to, since clearly, not "...all of their major assets were transfer on death, joint tenancy, etc."

Back