selling a lot

we have a lot in upper michigan that has 7 siblings on it.

A lot of what?

I assume what you're saying is that you are one of seven siblings who jointly own a piece of real property. If that's not what you meant, please clarify.

How did you and your siblings come to own this property that none of you now want?

2 have died and nver got there estates probated.

Do you and your siblings own the property as joint tenants or tenants in common? Why weren't the two siblings' estates probated?

the association said they turn in the late dues. and they turn them into a collection place.

If the lot is only worth ~$1k, I assume it's undeveloped, so why is an undeveloped lot subject to "association" dues? What actual or perceived benefits do the owners of an undeveloped lot get from an "association"?

well if we just fail to pay anything of course we will lose the lot but how will this affect us for the collection company.

Are you asking if this is something that could turn up on a credit report? If so, the answer is that it's certainly possible.

i figure we will take a credit hit but what can the collection company do to us? can they go after our bank accounts or take us to court or what is they do?

A person or entity to whom you owe money can sue you and, if he/she/it wins and obtains a judgment, the judgment can be enforced in whatever ways are permitted by the applicable state law. In every state, bank levy/garnishment is a permissible means of enforcing a civil money judgment. Keep in mind, however, that you may not be personally liable for dues. That depends on the terms of any agreement you may have made with the "association" and the CC&Rs that you presumably agreed to when you acquired the property. It may be that the only recourse is a lien against the property.

can we quit claim our share of the lot back to the association and then they can't come after us?

Depends on the terms of the CC&Rs, but probably not.

any ideas

Contact a local real estate attorney for a review of the relevant documents and advice or contact a realtor about trying to sell the property.

A lot of what?

I assume what you're saying is that you are one of seven siblings who jointly own a piece of real property. If that's not what you meant, please clarify. we are all named on the fiduciary deed.

How did you and your siblings come to own this property that none of you now want? it was in the wife's name on a quit claim deed and after her dad died the lot had to then go into all the siblings names. per the probate of the courts

Do you and your siblings own the property as joint tenants or tenants in common? Why weren't the two siblings' estates probated? it says in the fiduciary deed at the end of listing all the names of the siblings as tenants in common all of the interest of her dad deceased and following described premises situated in the township the lot is in.
the dead brothers estates did not get probated because they had no money and i did not think it was our responsibility to probate them.

If the lot is only worth ~$1k, I assume it's undeveloped, so why is an undeveloped lot subject to "association" dues? What actual or perceived benefits do the owners of an undeveloped lot get from an "association"? the land is undeveloped yes and i did a search for the land in the area for value of land for sale and it is 1k to 2k in the area. i have no clue why they pay dues. the wife says the development is an association.

Are you asking if this is something that could turn up on a credit report? If so, the answer is that it's certainly possible. yes i guess it could but can the collections company take us to court to force us to pay the unpaid association fees or put a lien against our bank accounts being we are the only ones of the rest of the sibling that actually have any money

A person or entity to whom you owe money can sue you and, if he/she/it wins and obtains a judgment, the judgment can be enforced in whatever ways are permitted by the applicable state law. In every state, bank levy/garnishment is a permissible means of enforcing a civil money judgment. Keep in mind, however, that you may not be personally liable for dues. That depends on the terms of any agreement you may have made with the "association" and the CC&Rs that you presumably agreed to when you acquired the property. It may be that the only recourse is a lien against the property.

Depends on the terms of the CC&Rs, but probably not. so what is a cc&r

Contact a local real estate attorney for a review of the relevant documents and advice or contact a realtor about trying to sell the property.
i contacted 2 realtors and they are just not interested in listing the land so that tells me it must not be land that is sought after. the association know that also as they said i may be able to just turn it in as a donation, but being we have 2 dead brothers that may still make all of responsible yet for that lot.

thanks

i contacted 2 realtors and they are just not interested in listing the land so that tells me it must not be land that is sought after. the association know that also as they said i may be able to just turn it in as a donation, but being we have 2 dead brothers that may still make all of responsible yet for that lot.

thanks

If the landowners fail to pay the taxes, eventually a governmental entity will steal the land in lieu of the taxes owed.

You could quitclaim or warranty deed the property to anyone who wishes to own it.

What do you estimate the unpaid taxes to be at this point?

If you could pay the back taxes, I'm sure you could then GIFT the property to the county, city, or township to be used for a park or some other civic endeavor.

You can discuss such a scenario with the appropriate elected official.

It isn't unusual in those situations for the entity to waive, forgive, or reduce the tax encumbrance in anticipation of receiving the gift.

You can discuss the specifics with the appropriate governmental official.

In Michigan, Article 11 of the Real Property Tax Law states foreclosure may begin after two years of tax delinquency.

Counties have the option of extending that period to three or four years.

Back