Seller won't reimburse vehicle shipping charge.

Joel Saint

Jurisdiction
Maine
Hey.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Okay let paint the picture. I am in Nebraska and I purchased a vehicle out of state from a man in Maine. The purchase price agreed upon was $18,000. He began to set up the shipping of the vehicle and the initial quote he was given was $1750. Therefore, the total cost and money transfer was $19,750. The transaction was a straight bank transfer from my credit union to the seller's credit union.

Well almost a couple weeks go by and the seller is legitimately getting the runaround from transport brokers and the vehicle still had no definitive pick up date. I offer to seek out another broker on my end as long as I'm reimbursed for the extra shipping charge incurred on my end. No problem. I'm able to get the vehicle picked up within a couple days.

Well, after nearly a month now, I have not been reimbursed for the shipping I paid in full. He is not answering any texts or messages. There is a Venmo request for the $1750 that has not been paid. Bill of Sale states clearly $18,000 sale price. Bank Transfer shows $19,750. I have the title to the vehicle.

Here's where it gets somewhat problematic. The seller was not the legal owner of the vehicle. I actually paid the seller's father for the vehicle and shipping charge as the title was in his name.

What legal recourse should be taken to recover the $1750 in this instance?

With whom did you have the agreement to reimburse you for the $1750?

I would think that's the person you sue.

And what documentation do you have for that agreement?

And whoever that person might be, you'll have to sue him in Maine. If you can't get a hearing by phone or zoom, you'll have to travel and you won't recover the costs of travel, expenses, lodging.

With whom did you have the agreement to reimburse you for the $1750?

I would think that's the person you sue.

And what documentation do you have for that agreement?

And whoever that person might be, you'll have to sue him in Maine. If you can't get a hearing by phone or zoom, you'll have to travel and you won't recover the costs of travel, expenses, lodging.

There's text or messenger conversation about the reimbursement from the seller. There's the same discussing cost and shipping. I have documentation that I paid the shipping after his brokers failing to get the vehicle picked up.

What you state is exactly what I'm worried he knows how this will go. Thanks for the response.

Back