Seller took back the car and I don't have the title!

Anthony23

I bought a car 2 months ago from a gentleman at a bank where he had a lien on the vehicle. I made the stupid mistake of paying off his debt, and taking the car home that day. The problem is that the title was mailed to him under his name and he took the car back because I wasn't able to properly register the car under my name. Now he has the car and I have no proof of ever buying the car. Can I report it stolen? What can I do at this point to retrieve the car?!!

Do you have anything? Bill of sale? Receipt from the bank in your name? Witnesses? You can go to the police, but I don't think they're going to report it stolen if you have no shred of evidence. It sounds like you were conned big time. I suspect this person is probably long gone and you will never find them.

I bought a car 2 months ago from a gentleman at a bank where he had a lien on the vehicle. I made the stupid mistake of paying off his debt, and taking the car home that day. The problem is that the title was mailed to him under his name and he took the car back because I wasn't able to properly register the car under my name. Now he has the car and I have no proof of ever buying the car. Can I report it stolen? What can I do at this point to retrieve the car?!!

When you allegedly made the payment at the bank to pay off HIS loan, did you receive a receipt for the payment and did he then and there sign over the title to you?

If NONE of that, or only part of that transpired, I suspect HE legally owns the car.

This is why you always follow the prime directive of the world's first, second, and third oldest vocations: ALWAYS get the client's MONEY before you give up the HONEY!

The car is not stolen.
If you wish to pursue it you could sue him in small claims/civil court for what you paid.
Be more careful the next time you buy a used car.

You might consider suing him in court to get your money back. You can sue for up to $10,000 in small claims court in Tx. - above that, you have to sue in a higher court. Good luck.

What are my chances of winning if I file a law suit in a civil court? How much would I be spending for the law suit? Would it be worth it knowing that I have no real evidence except verbal agreement?

Only you can decide if it is worth pursuing. Court filing fees are likely around $100 or so.
Consider whether the person you intend to sue likely even has the money to repay you with. If not, don't go spending more of your own money in pursuit of something someone else doesn't even have.
You might decide you are better off to take the loss and be more careful in the future.

Verbal agreements are binding, but of course you would have to find him, then hope he appears in court and tells the truth. Then hope he has the money or has the vehicle That's a lot to hope on, but if only cost $100 or so and you can take the time off work to got to court, it might be worth it so this scumbag doesn't get away with it. However, without any shred of evidence it is only your word against his and he will just lie.

What are my chances of winning if I file a law suit in a civil court? How much would I be spending for the law suit? Would it be worth it knowing that I have no real evidence except verbal agreement?

Remember, in Texas to sue someone in Small Claims, you MUST bring the lawsuit in the county, place, and precinct where the person resides. If its a business you're after, you have the alternative to sue in the county, place, and precinct where the business is located.

Back