SEIU Local 250 contract problem with job classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo

Hello, I work at Kaiser Permanente in Santa Clara, CA in the Emergency Department. My job title is Emergency Department Technician I (ED Tech I). The position is unionized, with the SEIU Local 250. The union finished bargaining our new contract earlier last year, and a large problem regarding job classification was not addressed. There are two types of Emergency Department Technicians, ED Tech I's and ED Tech II's. These two types are much the same as the differences between nurses being classified as RN I's RN II's RN III's etc. The higher the number, the more experience and training that person has, and therefore more pay. Per our contract if more than two thirds of our daily duties are allotted to either EKG's, or orthopedic duties, then we are supposed to be re-classified as ED Tech II's. Also, re-classification is suppose to happen after working in the same position for three years, IF your position falls under the "Schedule Z" classification. Per our contract, my position as ED Tech I is classified as a "Schedule Y". However, the position of ED Tech II is classified as "Schedule Z" (again, the ONLY difference between the two positions is experience and time allotted to special duties). The position of ED Tech is the only position where the upwards movement of personnel is effectively stopped due to the wording in the contract of Schedule Y vs Schedule Z. No other position is classified this way.
Is this legal? It is making the ability for advancement within our job title impossible. I have brought this up on more than one occasion to Union represenatives and Union directors alike, with the same response of "we'll look into it".
Is there anything that can be done? What do you suggest we do?
-Paul

Since this is not a matter addressed by law, your sole recourse is through the union. This is a function of your CBA - no laws are being violated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back