Seeking Temporary Guardianship of Grandkids

Grammy SHEBA

Jurisdiction
California
My husband and I have filed for Temporary Guardianship of our granddaughters. Their mother (my daughter) was recently detained for probation violations and several warrants steaming back to 2009. Luckily I was called by the police to pick up the kids before she was hauled off to jail - (this has happened twice in the last 3yrs) The oldest is 5yrs old and the youngest is 4months - She was held for 12 days this go round, within those 12 days we did not hear from her. We went on with our everyday lives – I took the oldest to school & the youngest to daycare while my husband and I went to work. Within the 2 weeks parent conferences were being scheduled – I signed up to attend. A notice came home in the Kindergartner back pack saying that the kindergartener had missed 5 days of school and she was listed as a truant & needed to attend a Saturday class to clear it up…School had only been in session for less the 2 months. My husband and I decided to file for temporary guardianship because we didn't know when their mother was coming home….. The children's father is unknown, and we are the only other relatives. The day we went to file at the courts, she was released and called to pick up the kids that night. We went through with the filing because we believe there is a need for intervention. We believe that she is unfit, the kids are always un-kept, she doesn't have a stable place to live, or a steady job and her car was repossessed. Of course we are being met with opposition from her… and swear we have betrayed her and we will never see the kids again. Our point and sole purpose is to keep the kids with the family and out of foster care if anything else happens. Deep down in our hearts we feel the kids will be taken away if nothing is done right away. We only want to have guardianship until she can get herself together. What are our chances of gaining guardianship?

What you think is unfit and what the State considers unfit are worlds apart. If the children are in danger or are being neglected, you should contact CPS.

Other than that, if you've already filed, it depends on how your attorney frames things and what the judge thinks about it all. If you don't have an attorney, I'd suggest finding one before the hearing.

Back