Roomate seeking half of utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

goose710

I own a house in which someone rented a room from me two months ago. I got her to sign a self-renewing lease.

A couple days ago, her car was broken in to in my driveway. Her purse was stolen. Needless to say, her story just doesn't add up.

She told me that her auto insurance will not cover personal belongings and that only homeowners insurance will. In the lease that she signed, she waived all rights to my homeowners insurance. In fact, she was encouraged to get renters insurance.

To sum it up, it is $300.00 per month, plus half of all utilities. There is also a deposit of $300.00. There is also a 30 days cancellation notice in which either I, or her needs to give the other person 30 days notice that they are leaving. I stupidly allowed her to break up her $300.00 deposit in to three payments to be started on the second month she was there. She has only paid $100.00 of the $300.00 and getting that was like pulling teeth.

She has decided she "doesn't feel safe" at my house, which is preposterous because it is a very safe neighborhood-although, given the situation, I cannot say that I blame her.

Anyway, I am trying to get ahead of the ball and be prepared with my answer...

I told her that if she moves out prior to Tuesday, May 1 (the day rent is due) she still owes $200.00 for the deposit (because she failed to give 30 days notice). I also indicated that she still owes half of the utilities from March and April. I told her that if she chooses to stay the month of May, she will need to pay her rent, as well as half of utilities from May.

Does anyone see anything that I am missing, or care to point out in any ways that I may be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

You need to get proper insurance for rental properties. Standard homeowners insurance will likely not cover the property as rental units.

Goose, does it matter?
She won't pay you anything more than you've already received.
If you're smart, help her leave.
This is only going to get worse.
She's only going to owe you more money, that'll frustrate and annoy you.
In the end, you'll have to sue her in small claims court.
That'll be even more frustrating and irritating, because you'll prevail, but you still won't get paid.
And, all that aggravation for $300, even $600, it ain't worth it.
Help her vacate your home, get your privacy back, and stop risking your belongings for chicken feed.
The only type of person looking to rent a room in another person's home is a pervert, a deadbeat, or worse.
Don't risk your life and possessions for $300 a month, it isn't worth it.
These arrangements rarely live up to your expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back