Seeking compensation for eviction by father

Status
Not open for further replies.

grle4lif

My father is evicting me and my husband from his property. There is no written lease and was never really a verbal agreement as far as rent or term of resdience or anything because the original decision to move in with him was based on a promise that the property would someday be ours. We have been paying on a loan that was used to remodel the basement now for three years as well as sunk quit a bit more money into the house for other things to increase the value of the property! Do my husband and I have any rights as far as reinbursment for the money that has been invested into my fathers property that we are now being forced to vacate? And are we entitled to any kind of compensation for everything we are out because of this broken promise?

grle4lif said:
My father is evicting me and my husband from his property. There is no written lease and was never really a verbal agreement as far as rent or term of resdience or anything because the original decision to move in with him was based on a promise that the property would someday be ours. We have been paying on a loan that was used to remodel the basement now for three years as well as sunk quit a bit more money into the house for other things to increase the value of the property! Do my husband and I have any rights as far as reinbursment for the money that has been invested into my fathers property that we are now being forced to vacate? And are we entitled to any kind of compensation for everything we are out because of this broken promise?

IF (the operative word again is, IF) you have any monetary disputes, I doubt they'll be resolved at the eviction.

If you father is seeking only your eviction (and no monetary award - back rent), your claims as to any money he might owe you would probably not be admissible.

The law permits no oral agreements or promises, insofar as property is concerned.

You, no doubt, have expended certain funds.

You can sue him in small claims to repay those funds.

Barring any written contract or promissory note, yours will be a difficult case in the end.

You will be evicted, sooner or later.

It is his home, and he can get an order evicting you.

Your relationship might be broken beyond repair for the moment.

It might be better leave now, save face, and maybe one day you can fix things.

The likelihood of that happening tomorrow is akin to Obama's reelection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back