Seeking advice starting a bankruptcy firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCBK

I recently passed the NC bar exam. I'm seeking to start a bankruptcy firm. I'm seeking advice for starting this endeavor. Thank you.

Congratulations on your law school graduation and recent bar admission, counselor.
It might be good to have a plan, to be a BK attorney, but until you get that practice established, there's money to be made off of the jail docket.

If you're trying to establish yourself, no better place to do it than on the jail docket. Much success and good luck.

Pardon my abject ignorance, but would you mind explaining the jail docket situation? And thanks a bunch for your reply.

Pardon my abject ignorance, but would you mind explaining the jail docket situation? And thanks a bunch for your reply.

Representing indigent criminal defendants (serious traffic citations, misdemeanors & felonies), in some states its called "jail docket", "the list", ask some of longer serving members of your bar association about it, or one of the judges' clerks. Or, ask a county commissioner, or the county or county court clerk.

Oh, I see. In my county, I believe it's called the court appointed list.

It's easy money, easy work, judges, Asher's, and criminal VIPS get to see your work.
You make your name, build your bona fides, and get time to build your BK practice.

Thank you for this information. This is the most information I've been able to obtain from anyone. Most of the attorneys that I've contacted so far seem to be very protective of their business, information they may have, etc. It seems very competitive, so thanks again.

The court appointed list sounds like a great opportunity. I've submitted my CV to the Mecklenburg Co. Public Defenders' Office, but other than that, I honestly don't have the slightest idea about how to get on the court appointed list. Further, I am scheduled to be sworn-in within roughly a month, so I'm just trying to determine which steps I should be taking until then.

NCBK,

I have been reviewing your posts. You are a new lawyer (not even sworn in yet). Why not try your State Bar, specifically its section membership for young lawyers? You need to do some networking.

http://younglawyers.ncbar.org/

In addition, striking out on your own without any experience whatsoever is going to eventually lead to problems so unless you are going to carry a very good malpractice policy, I wouldn't recommend hanging that shingle out just yet. Find a job and milk the job for two years. Get experience under your belt and then move on - if you so choose. That is what I did 25 years ago.

Des.

It's easy money, easy work, judges, Asher's, and criminal VIPS get to see your work.
You make your name, build your bona fides, and get time to build your BK practice.

This sounds like a good plan. Now I just need to find out how to get on the court-appointed list in Mecklenburg county.

Wow its a great news. Congratulation, I know you will become a good Bk attorney.

User has made two posts which don't really help OP & foreign IP address - will ban.
Betty3

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back