Consumer Law, Warranties Security Deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsg1970

I live in Texas and rented a room from someone in Orlando, Florida. I was planning on being in Orlando from October 31, 2004 through January 31, 2005. There was a possibility that I would be around through February 17, 2005. So, I asked the prospective landlord if I was around in February would she would prorate the rent or charge for a full month. She was willing to prorate. As it turns out, we signed a lease agreement that terminated on January 31, 2005. During the negotiations, we verbally stated that (1) if I was around in February, (2) if we both wanted to and (3) if she was still willing to prorate rent, then we had the option to extend the lease with an addendum to the written lease argeement. Although I was going to be around, I had no desire to extend the lease so I moved out on the agreed upon termination date of January 31.

When I got my security deposit back, the landlord had withheld 17 days of prorated rent for February stating that we had an agreement. She refuses to pay the remainder and I have filed a suit in small claims court.

Based on the info above, I just want to see if I am right or wrong in thinking that there was no agreement beyond January 31 and that she owes me the amount withheld.

Thanks

I also have the same dillema - prorate rent

My landlord pro-rated my rent when I moved in the 10th of the April 2005. I have been harrassed by my landlord - who by the way lives in the same house. He would spray aggressively when i am eating in the kitchen. I told him that I find it rude but he still manages to do the same every so often. I decided to look for another house to rent. I give him my rent always on time at the end of each month. I gave him a checque on the 30th of June for July's rent. I got another place to move to and will leave on the 10th of July. Now my landlord won't pro-rate my rent this time - telling me that I will only get my security deposit but not the unused portion of my rent for July. Do I have a chance of getting my money back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back