Security deposit nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissafreeman

My landlord did not comply by the 21 day notice. (They keep telling me they did but can furnish no proof) Some 30 days after I moved I inquired and they sent me the estimated disposition via e-mail. About a week later I received the final in the mail. The final included charges for painting that were not on the estimate. Can they add this on if there were NO painting issues on the estimate? The final included invoices that look like they were made in microsoft word. The detailed cleaning list includes cleaning floors that were replaced 3 days earlier and shampooing carpets that were replaced 3 days prior and cleaning things that did not exist in the home such as a microwave. Leads me to believe that it was all fabricated. I sent a letter stating I wanted my full deposit back and that if that was not acceptable to them I would take them to small claims. They have replied saying they would remove the carpet replacement cost but the painting cost still stands. They painted the entire house but are allegedly only charging me for the kitchen cabinets because I painted them without authorization. If they painted the entire house, they were going to paint the kitchen anyways. I lived in the house for 3 years...the painting cost is 7 hours @ 50.00/hour does that seem reasonable?

If you were not allowed to pain the cabinets and they landlord must now repaint them, you can be held responsible for the cost.

My landlord did not comply by the 21 day notice. (They keep telling me they did but can furnish no proof) Some 30 days after I moved I inquired and they sent me the estimated disposition via e-mail. About a week later I received the final in the mail. The final included charges for painting that were not on the estimate. Can they add this on if there were NO painting issues on the estimate? The final included invoices that look like they were made in microsoft word. The detailed cleaning list includes cleaning floors that were replaced 3 days earlier and shampooing carpets that were replaced 3 days prior and cleaning things that did not exist in the home such as a microwave. Leads me to believe that it was all fabricated. I sent a letter stating I wanted my full deposit back and that if that was not acceptable to them I would take them to small claims. They have replied saying they would remove the carpet replacement cost but the painting cost still stands. They painted the entire house but are allegedly only charging me for the kitchen cabinets because I painted them without authorization. If they painted the entire house, they were going to paint the kitchen anyways. I lived in the house for 3 years...the painting cost is 7 hours @ 50.00/hour does that seem reasonable?

If you are unhappy with the deposit that your landlord returned to you, or feel it is incorrect, you are free to take him or her to court.

This link explains the process. Don't get too excited, it isn't easy, but some do achieve their desired result.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/security-deposit-lawsuit-california-small-claims-court.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back