Security Deposit Issue/Commercial Tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedltd

I bought a mixed use house in Cranston RI. The 1st floor is a salon, the rest of the house residential. When I bought it, the salon was occupied. At closing, there was no mention of any security deposit and it ws not mentioned in the settlement agreement. After the sale was completed, I asked the tenant for a security deposit, and she provided one. She subsequently came back and inidicated that she had paid a security deposit to the previous owner, and she wants her security deposit refunded. I have little doubt that she paid two deposits, one to the Seller sat the time she took occupancy of the salon, and one to me after the sale was completed. My question is, if the settlement agreement does not mention a security deposit, and the Tenant never mentioned she had already paid one previously (at a time when I may have still recovered her original deposit from the seller), am I obligated to return the security deposit she paid to me? Thanks.

Q: My question is, if the settlement agreement does not mention a security deposit, and the Tenant never mentioned she had already paid one previously (at a time when I may have still recovered her original deposit from the seller), am I obligated to return the security deposit she paid to me?

A: Tell her that you are not involved in the transaction between her and the former owner. She should talk to the former owner if she has questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back