Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Second Offender-What Will Happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger0123

Okay, I know you can't pull mental illness on stealing- but I have been off my bipolar and antidepressant medication since February because I lost my insurance. In April, I stole and received a criminal citation. I signed a paper that basically said I would not reoffend for a year and it would be dropped, otherwise, bad things would happen. He said it was like unsupervised probation.

Yesterday, I got caught stealing $30 of merchandise. It was a HUGE mistake and I cried and cried because I told the police officer it made me sick to my stomach to do it again and that I was going to dump the stuff in the bathroom, but was too afraid that I was still going to get into trouble so I walked out.

I've only ever shoplifted twice, and obviously I suck because I got caught twice. Last night I took a bunch of pills, but I was so upset as to what my husband would think that I threw them up before they could take effect. My husband is currently in Basic Training, and wants me to move with him as soon as possible because I get extremely depressed when we are separated. I feel like I am functioning as half a person, and I can't eat, sleep, and I have no interest in anything.

I'm terrified as to what is going to happen to me. I'm leaving for his graduation in less than a month. Should I wait until after that to go to court? I would die in jail, I would literally fall apart. Last night I sent out my info to CASA so I could get into their Anti-Shoplifting Program, but I can't find any groups here in Washington.

I'm willing to go into personal debt to pay any fines. I paid all my fines from the previous incident. I was hoping to get a public defender because I'm unemployed (anxiety problems at last job) and ask if I could extend my unsupervised probation to five years, and pay a much scarier fine- anything to avoid jail so I can move away and live a better life with my husband. I swear on my life I will never do this again- I just want to be a good wife in a new home with my husband who I haven't seen in months. Please help!

I know limited info on CASA but I do know more about another program you can do at home. Send me a private message and I will give you contact info on that program you can do at home. You are facing serious problems and possible jail time. You need a Lawyer. You violated probation of first theft and now have commited another. Even if you do not intend to hire an Attorney make some calls many offer free consultations. Then you can have knowledge before you meet with Public Defender. Do not expect another deal with stay clean and nothing will be on your record. If you enroll in an Anti Theft class before court Judge might smile upon your efforts. I would use caution with the mental illness defense. Its been tried and tried with little success

If you do not have the means, the court should assign you counsel at your arraignment (which should be the first court hearing).

Before you agree to any kind of a deal, speak with your attorney. There may be options for you that include counseling, maybe community service over fines .. your attorney would know.

Good luck.

- Carl

As Admin said, don't try to pull the "mental illness" card on the judge.

If I had a nickle for every shoplifter who told me they were either "off their meds" or "just started on their meds" or "took too much of thier meds" I'd be a rich man and wouldn't have to do this job any more :)

I know they won't care about mental illness- but these past two months have been the lowest of my life. I just got an at-home course for shoplifting, and a book to read called "Something for Nothing." They wouldn't let me choose my court date, so now I have to go just a week before I'm scheduled to go to my husband's graduation and move with him. I can't do this. I can't not go. What can I do to save myself and pay for what I've done? If I don't go, that's the end of my life. My husband is my life, and he would never forgive me for throwing away the first opportunity in months to see him.

If yuo fail to show up for court a warrant for your arrest will be issued. Once caught ( you will be caught) any chance for Diversion is gone! I understand what your saying but playing the "Mental illness" card will blow up in yur face. Hire an Attorney have him appear on your behalf if possible

I know nothing about that book or that at home course but this site seems to like the course offered by NASP

The course I am taking is the NASP one. And I'm definitely going to show up to court, and I'm hoping to get it resolved that day by either waiting for counsel (not sure what that is, but I really need to be able to explain myself and my situation with his graduation) and trying to get a Public Defender to help me. I also wrote the Judge a front-and-back letter, and I'm scheduling an appointment with my old psychiatrist tomorrow. How helpful would all this be? I am really ashamed of myself, and the hurt of all the shame I know my family and husband feels towards me is unbearable. I really do want to reform, but I'm afraid that won't even be enough to save me this time. I have to be with my husband. I know that this second chance at a second life being a good wife (and hopefully one day a good mother and trustworthy family member) would change everything. I feel like once I get past this hump of not getting to be with my husband or having support from friends or family, that that would be the end of the bad behavior. Not only would I have my husband, but I would have a psychiatrist to speak with, and new friends I make at each new base the Air Force sends us too. When I say that this was the lowest months in my life- I mean it. I want to move past this.

WHY are you contacting Judge before you speak with an Attorney!!?? This wont be over on your court date. Your going to walk in plead not guilty ask for Public Defender and you will get new court date. This isnt going to work the way you desire. The only way it will end on your first court date is if you plead guilty right then. That would not be smart as Judge will then sentence you no plea deal just whatever Judge feels like. You should never talk or send letters to DA or Judge before talking to your Attorney. You may have just screwed yourself a second time

No, I wrote a letter to the judge for the court date. Didn't send it- I don't even know who my judge will be. Today I set an appointment with my psychiatrist for after the court date. I also paid off the full civil fine I got charged before it even got sent to me. Does this give me a better outlook in court? It all came out of my personal savings for my husband and I's first post- now we have next to nothing...but I deserve it. I'm begging for any answer as to what will happen to me. Is it possible to get some sort of deal before another court date? I really have to go to my husband's graduation- I already owe his mother a ton for plane tickets and hotel bookings. He's really looking forward to me being there- and if I didn't show up...I don't know what that would do to us.

They told me I had 15 days to appear in court from the date of the criminal citation. So it is actually the 25th of August that I have to go, a week before his graduation. I'm so scared...I've been having nightmares about not going, and I can't eat, can barely sleep...I just don't know what to do anymore.

I can't afford a lawyer. I drained everything I had to pay the civil fee and to get the at-home course from NASP, and our credit card is maxed.

I emailed two criminal defense lawyers. Can anyone tell me what the best outcome I can try to get is? Or something I can do to make sure I can be there for at least his graduation?

Not to sound rude but the Graduation should be the last thing on your mind..

If court is the same time as the graduation you have 2 choices.

Go to the graduation, miss court, get a warrant, enjoy the hospitality of your local jail (hope you like bologna sandwiches and apples!).
Go to court, arrive late for the Graduation, explain what happend, no jail.

I'd go with option B.

I don't want to be late to his graduation. My court date is the 25th of this month. His graduation is September 2nd-7th. I have a psych appt. on the 9th. The court date is the arraignment I think. I'm going, I'm just wondering if it is possible to come to a conclusion that day without setting another court date that could conflict with his graduation. I need this. I need to go to prove to him that I've changed and that getting over this last mistake is the beginning of being someone he can be proud of. I'm deeply sorry for what I did, but without this chance at a new life with my husband and the Air Force, I would just feel worse. I wouldn't commit any new crimes (not after losing everyone but him this time), but it wouldn't help with my depression if I had to go several more months without seeing him...

Unless you walk in plead guilty (not smart) the chances of this being resoved on 1st court appearence are very low. Walking in and pleading guilty could land you in jail

Do you think it is possible to get a motion and order for a compromise of misdemeanor if I already paid the store the $230 civil fine thingy, and when I'm willing to pay all the court fees even if it puts me more into debt? Is that possible for a second offense? Last time I had to split payments because I couldn't afford it (also didn't have a credit card) so it wasn't an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back