Search and Seizure with no warrant or probable cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I allowed my dormitory resident manager to do the monthly room inspections which are strictly visual unless he has probable cause. He found that my ceiling tiles were out of place so I gave him permission to search them and he found nothing. The next day I allowed him into my room again for what he said "camera footage" of my boyfriend leaving my room with my backpack 30 minutes before the room inspection search. I told the dormitory resident manager that he was waking me up and bringing my backpack with dive gear to my car before I left to the dive shop. The dive shop confirmed I went their to sign up for my Rescue Diving class. He then proceeded to re search my room, he said that all the rooms were conducting ceiling tile inspections again so I granted him permission to search the ceiling tiles. He then tells me to sit down outside of the room without being able to leave. He opened my dressers and searched through my clothing and personal belongings to open a music box. The music box had marijuana in it and he then called the local Sheriff who took the marijuana into possession and gave me a citation. I am now being kicked out of the dormitory for an unlawful search and seizure without any probable cause, am I entitled to something?

The search wasn't unlawful, neither was the attendant seizure.

Read what your student handbook (or housing handbook) has to say about these searches, and the law under which the college or institution operates.

That constitutional stuff, all those protections don't bind private citizens. We don't owe each other any such duty. Parents search their children everyday, legally. Public Schools search lockers, backpack, purses of students and staff with a governmental blessing and immunity.
Landlords are permitted to control their property. So are the landlords agents.

People breaking laws, renters especially breaking drug laws, jeopardize the property owner's financial interests.
Nope, as you observed, the police were grateful to the property's agent. You need to focus on not breaking laws and jeopardizing your educational future. Drug convictions can cause students to lose financial assistance, even cause them to be did enrolled from educational establishments.

By the way, you didn't allow the property's agent to do anything. He has the right to do eventually, had you refused.

You're on your own here, OP. Leave that old devil weed alone. It ain't legal yet!

Last edited:
What is this dormitory? Is this a college? A private shelter? A government program? What?

What this organization is, and why you are there - and under what arrangements - will make a difference as to how likely this is to be lawful.

In general, a search by a private person is not subject to the same restrictions as the police. But, it all depends on the program and why you are there ... and, if you signed anything (contract, MOU, agreement) allowing such inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back