Not open for further replies.


New Member
Hi - My ex and I were never married and have a 14 year old son. He wants to come to the school where I live beginning this year instead of where his mother resides. We only live a few mins apart so this isn't an issue and mom has agreed.
I don't think it should be a problem because I'm already paying school taxes for other children attending the school, but all the paperwork I see says "where the custodial parent resides"

The custody paperwork says that she has custody and I have visitation, so I wanted to know if this would be easier if we kept the exact same agreement, but chnaged the verbiage to "shared custody" or if you could recommend other options. I'd really appreciate any input as the school year start in a little over a week.

What did the school folks say when you showed them the judgment in your lawsuit?
I didn't show them yet. I called previously "without names" and mentioned the situation. The admissions department told me that he should go to school where he lives and "lives" is defined by the custodial parent. Thats why I was wondering if changing the paperwork to "shared custody" or 'joint custody" would change the situation even though technically he lives with his mom.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?
Not all school districts check custody orders. You can try to enroll him without them first.

If they require the order, then it cannot name your ex as the custodial parent, even if it says shared or joint parenting. They will want to see that he lives with you at least half the time.
What if I just told them there was no "formal" custody agreement? They couldn't prove otherwise. Are there state guidelines or would it just be what he and his mother agree too, right?
If you were never married and have no formal custody agreement, then legally the mother has full and sole custody. That probably won't work.

If the district requires the paperwork, then you will have to have your agreement changed to 50/50 parenting time, or possibly get an order for temporary guardianship.

You should consult a lawyer to see if there is anything you can do in less than a week.
Thanks for the feedback Irish. That is pretty much what I had thought.

Are there any lawyers who could pass along a couple of thoughts or ideas?
Not open for further replies.