School

Dawgie

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I'm 18 and I'm in high school. I don't live with my parents anymore because of issues. I live with my boyfriend and his family. Would I be able to just stop going to school? Is there anyway they would contact my parents about truancy?

Pennsylvania's compulsory education ends at a child's 17 birthday. So, yes, you can drop out of high school but you would be incredibly stupid to do so.

Without a proper education your chances are good that you'll eventually become a drug addicted street whore.

Seems to be where a lot of high school drop outs end up.

As an 18 year old, you are a legal adult and are free to stop attending school any time you want. Since you are, presumably, only a couple months away from graduation, dropping out seems like a pretty dumb thing to do.

Would I be able to just stop going to school?

Yes, you are free to drop out of school tomorrow, if you wish.

You are an adult.

Is there anyway they would contact my parents about truancy?

No, all you have to do is ask that your parents be excluded from seeing your school records, because you are an adult and are assuming full responsibility for yourself.

If this is a public school (or one that takes federal money), then FERPA allows you to block your parent's access to any of your records. If it's a private school, there's not any overreaching law that protects your privacy.

Wow.... So your going to make another mistake in you're life. First living with your boy friend at such a young age. Now.... You're going to quit school so you can't find a job. Such a stupid person you have become in your short life. amazing..

Man people are really going at the OP. Living with her boyfriend and dropping out of school doesn't necessarily mean she will become a drug addict or a "whore." I don't think she should drop out of school if she's 18 - just finish and get the diploma at the very least. Plenty of trade jobs out there too if this person doesn't want to go to college.

But dropping out of school doesn't turn one into a drug addict. My ex husband graduated high school and was a drug addict before he graduated.

Man people are really going at the OP. Living with her boyfriend and dropping out of school doesn't necessarily mean she will become a drug addict or a "whore." I don't think she should drop out of school if she's 18 - just finish and get the diploma at the very least. Plenty of trade jobs out there too if this person doesn't want to go to college.

But dropping out of school doesn't turn one into a drug addict. My ex husband graduated high school and was a drug addict before he graduated.

Yet you married him... LOL The odds against her start stacking up with more bad choices in life. I know that I wouldn't allow my children to bring a boyfriend/ girl friend into my home if they dropped out of school. I would want better for my child. So this guy as well might be on the wrong path in life. ANY parent would want the best for their child. So she moves out. She drops out of school. Boy friend gets pissed and throws her out of the house. Parents are still pissed at what choices she has taken. She could be out on the streets. Which could lead to drugs and more bad choices.

Yet you married him... LOL The odds against her start stacking up with more bad choices in life. I know that I wouldn't allow my children to bring a boyfriend/ girl friend into my home if they dropped out of school. I would want better for my child. So this guy as well might be on the wrong path in life. ANY parent would want the best for their child. So she moves out. She drops out of school. Boy friend gets pissed and throws her out of the house. Parents are still pissed at what choices she has taken. She could be out on the streets. Which could lead to drugs and more bad choices.

I didn't know how bad he was until it was too late and I didn't know he started meth at 17. I met him when we were 18 or 19 - and he wasn't really using it then. And we were more friends than anything then. Then I went to the Army and he married someone else - and then I came back closer to home and he was divorced and shit happened.

Well when my daughter is 18 I can't control what she does anymore legally. Hopefully I have raised her to make smart choices. But I can't control her. But everyone who drops out of high school doesn't turn into a drug addict nor a "whore." There are some pretty successful people in the world who dropped out of high school or college. It just depends on the person.

You don't know what will or won't happen to this girl or what kind of person she is or what her parents may be like. Maybe they are drug addicts and she's trying to escape them - or abusive. We don't know. Maybe she's making a mistake. It's not anyone's place to judge.

Not everyone on the streets resorts to drugs or bad choices either. But stereotype everyone...that always helps. (eye roll here).

No one is better off dropping out of high school. Very, very few are better off or even do ok dropping out of college. Most drop outs want to point to Bill Gates, but let's take a moment to remember he dropped out of Harvard, not Hometown High. Kid already has a HUGE strike against her with an unstable family life. Strike 2 is an unstable living situation (bf could dump her tomorrow, his parents owe her nothing). But sure, let's not warn against taking that 3rd strike of no high school diploma because the options for an 18 year old with an unstable family, no place to live and no education are just tremendous.

But dropping out of school doesn't turn one into a drug addict.

Did with my son. Drug addiction, prison, homelessness. He sleeps in parking lots doing odd jobs for nearby businesses for barely enough money to feed himself. He's 48 years old with no change in sight.

I hope Ms Dawgie is reading all these responses and sees the light.

A high school education is the holder's lifetime passport to a succession of minimums.

We had to earn no less that a B+ average in high school.
We weren't allowed to be average.
It was mandated that we do our best.

My parents demanded that my siblings and I complete high school, obtain a trade or go to college.

We had no other options, except one term of military service, followed by college, union apprenticeship (which led to a trade: carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc...), or trade school.

My point is that too many people fail because their parents allow them to do the minimum.

My wife and I applied my parents' philosophy to our children, and achieved the results my parents did.

I have five siblings, one is an MD, one a PhD in clinical psychology, one an MBA became the owner of his own insurance agency, and two became nurses.

When my parents were alive, not one day passed when I failed to thank them for making me actualize my potential.

Curiously enough, our children express the same sentiment to us regularly.

I'm expressly pleased that all of our grands are being held to the same standard.

As my army drill sergeant used to tell us, "One day you'll appreciate being held to high standard."

Back