School Parking Lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legally

I go to a local high school in Canada. Today, as I was on the student parking lot I had a minor hit against another car. My car has a hairline scratch and i'm not sure about his, probably a hairline scratch.

The school does not ice the parking lot, nor does it have any warnings to use it at your own risk, etc. They force all students to park vehicles in the student parking lot.

I believe I am at fault for the accident, unless there is a "non liability" law which I read about (because of it being a parking lot).

My question is, if I am liable, shouldn't there have been a clear warning that the student parking lots are not salted or sanded?

Thanks! :)

P.S. I screwed up my name, it was supposed to be LegallyImpaired, so don't think I'm someone who knows much about laws. :p

I'm not sure what "non liability" law is and it probably protects the lot owner.

A "use at your own risk" warning usually occurs when there are latent conditions or dangerous conditions that are out of the ordinary that an injury might be forseeable. If a manufacturing plant knows that ash might be ejected from their smokestack onto cars nearby, they probably would have a warning sign. But in a regular parking lot, why should the owner have to put up a sign that if you hit another car you are liable? Regarding salting the lot, it is not a public walkway. Can you image what having such a law might require? Lot owners might have to post signs that are 20 feet high dealing with every weather condition. Basically, people must use their eyes and notice the conditions of the road when they drive.

A good place to understand the legal requirements for warnings is in product liability cases.

Legally said:
I go to a local high school in Canada. Today, as I was on the student parking lot I had a minor hit against another car. My car has a hairline scratch and i'm not sure about his, probably a hairline scratch.

The school does not ice the parking lot, nor does it have any warnings to use it at your own risk, etc. They force all students to park vehicles in the student parking lot.

I believe I am at fault for the accident, unless there is a "non liability" law which I read about (because of it being a parking lot).

My question is, if I am liable, shouldn't there have been a clear warning that the student parking lots are not salted or sanded?

Thanks! :)

P.S. I screwed up my name, it was supposed to be LegallyImpaired, so don't think I'm someone who knows much about laws. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back