School Lunches

Status
Not open for further replies.

19baileygarcia

Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
Do schools legally have to provide lunches for those students who qualify for free and reduced lunch? If so, how do some schools get around that?

I am working on a project in my research class about school lunches and children still in hunger. I was informed today by a local organization that, legally, schools have to provide food for children who would qualify for the NSLP (our school does not have this). I wanted to see if this was true before researching.

Research it yourself. I'm not doing YOUR homework. o_O

Do schools legally have to provide lunches for those students who qualify for free and reduced lunch?

This site will help you with your research:

Healthy Schools

The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act (79 P.L. 396, 60 Stat. 230) is a federal law that created the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) to provide low-cost or free school lunch meals to qualified students through subsidies to schools.

I will add that private schools, even some public schools (should the school board so choose NOT to accept federal or state subsidies) can exempt the school from offering to feed students.

In fact, it can be argued the program IGNORES children whose parents are deemed to successful enough such that their child(ren) don't receive the FREE or reduced meals.

Here is the law, which will allow you continue yoru research:

https://legcounsel.house.gov/Comps/Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act.pdf

Good luck, the rest is entirely up to you.

THREAD CLOSED..................................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back