Criminal Trials, Hearings Scared my Nephew my do prison time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

auntie

My nephew is 21. He hit his girlfriend/mother of his 10 month old son busting her ear drum. She pressed charges, over 5 months ago. Since, they have been living together and raising their son with no other abuse. She has tried to talk to the States Attorney and drop the charges, but the States Attorney is going ahead with this... my nephew cannot afford a lawyer. What is his best bet? The girlfriend/mother is 22. My nephew has been arrested for other things in the past over 1 1/2 ago and has never went to trail for these crimes as well, could they roll this all into one trial?

GREAT ADVICE IS MUCH NEEDED!!! Thanks, Auntie

My nephew is 21. He hit his girlfriend/mother of his 10 month old son busting her ear drum. She pressed charges, over 5 months ago. Since, they have been living together and raising their son with no other abuse. She has tried to talk to the States Attorney and drop the charges, but the States Attorney is going ahead with this... my nephew cannot afford a lawyer. What is his best bet? The girlfriend/mother is 22. My nephew has been arrested for other things in the past over 1 1/2 ago and has never went to trail for these crimes as well, could they roll this all into one trial?

GREAT ADVICE IS MUCH NEEDED!!! Thanks, Auntie
I'm sorry to hear about the situation but it is complicated. What was your nephew arrested for? Do you have any concerns about the safety of your nephew's son, even small ones?

In many instances victims of abuse recant later and this pattern continues until the woman is beaten so severely that it cannot be ignored -- or worse, her death. If he has a history, then it might explain why the DA may not want to listen to the latest change of heart and hear about what a "new man" your nephew may be. I believe he should be able to have a court appointed attorney.

Regarding rolling all the charges into one trial, are you saying that he was arrested for prior similar acts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back