Scamming People Under My Name

Lesha619

Jurisdiction
Arizona
My situation is a bit odd. I am a very popular YouTuber/influencer. I create content for businesses mainly dealing with beauty. A company has stolen my content and posts it as there own. They have muted the audio and cropped where my watermark is placed. They have place multiple of my videos as ads running through Facebook, Instagram, Google and game apps. The issue is, they are scamming people. People see the ad and they purchase the item specifically because I am well known and the product I am advertising is what they like. The item the customer receives is not what is advertised. I have been harrased by angry purchasers who thought I was behind the scam. I have reached out to the company and they have not replied to me at all. They have blocked me from their social medias. From what Im finding out, they are located in China. I am in the United States. What can I do about this issue? I have been warned that I could possibly be sued by people who think I am behind this scam.

they are located in China. I am in the United States.

You'll never touch a Chinese based scammer, unless you're a BILLIONAIRE and want to squander millions chasing a few thousand scammed dollars.

What can I do about this issue?

You can report the issues to Google, or whatever FAKE TECH owns YouTube.

Don't expect miracles.

YouTube isn't losing a dime, so I suspect YouTube won't be all that sympathetic to your plight, because the SCAMMER is hiding in plain sight in Commie China.

I have been warned that I could possibly be sued by people who think I am behind this scam.

Perhaps you should shut down your YouTube channel, which will also shut down the Chinese commie scam.

Sorry to hear about your social media problem. As a social media influencer, I'm guessing that we may not have all the variables which may be important here. First is you should be reporting the copyright infringement and any fraudulent activities to Facebook, Instagram, Google and any other company where this media has been distributed. YouTube also has policies for multiple offenders as may others for those who violate copyright and intellectual property laws on multiple occasions.

As to your being sued for liability - highly doubtful from my perspective and I don't know from where you're getting your advice and whether there are additional key facts which have not been shared. On what basis should you be liable?

As to the United States, there are actions you may be able to take. You may wish to also contact leading advertising companies to limit the channels to which this company can operate. And if any of their services touch U.S. soil, you may also be able to pursue action at those sites and I'd suggest you read the terms of service to be able to cite for a violation. For example, if this company had a website hosted in the US which had your work featured on the site, you could send a takedown notice and consider additional terms of use violations to include. This prevents distribution and monetization from the source, making it difficult and not financial worthwhile to continue the activity. Good luck and perhaps you can influence others to visit our site in your next video. :D

Back