Sc-140 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveBrown

My name is Steve Brown my company was a defendant in a small claim case We lost and the Plaintiff was awarded $4,485.00. I would like to appeal the decision. I am filling out the SC-140 form. When filling out the form are we now the Defendant or the Plaintiff with respect to the form? I didn't know if because we were the defendant in the small claims case I needed to put us in the defendant section or are we filing a new case where we now become the Plaintiff?

Any other information you can give me with respects to the SC-140 form would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Steve Brown

My name is Steve Brown my company was a defendant in a small claim case We lost and the Plaintiff was awarded $4,485.00. I would like to appeal the decision. I am filling out the SC-140 form. When filling out the form are we now the Defendant or the Plaintiff with respect to the form? I didn't know if because we were the defendant in the small claims case I needed to put us in the defendant section or are we filing a new case where we now become the Plaintiff?

Any other information you can give me with respects to the SC-140 form would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Steve Brown

Your status, defendant or plaintiff remains the same when using that form.

Your appeal hearing is in the superior court, not the small claims court.

You and the other party can hire lawyers to represent you.

You might want to consider discussing the appeal with a lawyer.

Paying a lawyer $2,500 could save you $5,000.

The party appealing is normally referred to as the appellant, or sometimes the petitioner.

The other party is the normally referred to as the appellee or the respondent.

However, as you can see, those terms aren't used in your small claims case.

You can Google or Bing most things these days.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1115.htm

http://www.scscourt.org/self_help/small_claims/after_judgment.shtml

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back