sbryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbryan

I am recently married to a wonderful man who pays his ex child support for his son. My husband will be going to college to become a teacher and better himself and his earnings, the last 2 years of his degree program will not allow him to work at a full time job..but only part time which would significantly reduce his income.

My question is...will he be allowed to petition the court for a temp reduction in child support? and when he does will my income be calculated in as part of his sources? I have heard that the judge may allow this being that it is a voluntary reduction in income. My feeling is that I have 2 children to support myself, and feel that I should not be obligated to support his child even if I am married to him. I recently had to declare bankruptcy and we live paycheck to paycheck at the moment.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

probably not. It is his choice to do this and his CS will not be reduced from a voluntary reduction of income. You are not responsible for supporting his kid but it would be a waste of time for him to petition the courts for a decrease if he chooses not to work full time.

by the way if money is tight right now and you have had to declare BK why is he entertaining the thought of not working full time? That makes no sense. He can work full time and go to school at night. That will be the only reasonable option.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice, the teaching program requires their students to do peer-teaching under a teacher at a local school. This is during work hours and of course as no income attached..I would love it if he could work full time, would be much easier. I declared BK before we were married, so I am debt free..(and plan to stay that way)..except for a mortgage. Thanks again.

Well he is free to do what he wants but his child support obligation will not be reduced because of it. When you have kids to support you do not get to just work part time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back