Criminal Records, Expungement SB 731..Expungement

Igtba00

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,
I was hoping someone could help explain SB 731 to me. It appears if you are clean from any crime for 4 years after you're through with parole then violent offenders can petition a judge to seal the record. It seems one source said this applies to crimes committed after the beginning of 2021 and another said crimes after 2005. Also, if you petition a judge does that mean he will automatically seal it or is it up to his discretion?

I have a criminal record which is Assault with Deadly Weapon and G.B.I. I served 3 years in County jail and 3 years in prison; the amount of 6 years all together. I read online some say that I am eligible for expungement, and some says i am not. how accurate is the source? can you tell me if i am eligible for expungment. looking forward to hear from you soon. thank you and God bless you.

Last edited:
Hello,
I was hoping someone could help explain SB 731 to me. It appears if you are clean from any crime for 4 years after you're through with parole then violent offenders can petition a judge to seal the record. It seems one source said this applies to crimes committed after the beginning of 2021 and another said crimes after 2005. Also, if you petition a judge does that mean he will automatically seal it or is it up to his discretion?

I have a criminal record which is Assault with Deadly Weapon and G.B.I. I served 3 years in County jail and 3 years in prison; the amount of 6 years all together. I read online some say that I am eligible for expungement, and some says i am not. how accurate is the source? can you tell me if i am eligible for expungment. looking forward to hear from you soon. thank you and God bless you.
WIth a matter of this import, you should speak to a local criminal defense attorney about the matter. They will be able to properly advise you.

As a note, it appears that SB 731 doesn't take effect until July of this year...but you'd be wise to speak to an attorney early so that you can get the petition filed as soon as possible once the law is in effect.

Back