Purchase & Sale Sale of preserved food as fishing bait

BradlyB

Jurisdiction
California
Hello all, and thanks for your time.

I am in the process of starting a small fishing bait company that will only be doing online sales. The baits have been tested and are preserved in a way that does not require them to be refrigerated, the whole appeal being that they can be kept in fisherman's tackle boxes for long periods of time without spoiling.

My primary concern is that I am currently making these bait in my house, and will continue to do so until my sales support me renting a location to make them.

1) Is is legal to make this product in a home and sell it, if it is not intended for human consumption?
2) Are there specific permits needed if I am remaking food items (fish, squid, etc.) into fishing baits for sale?

Am I making this into a bigger issue than it really is, or do I need to hire a lawyer to figure out the answers to my questions?

Thank you,
Bradly B.

My primary concern is that I am currently making these bait in my house, and will continue to do so until my sales support me renting a location to make them.

1) Is is legal to make this product in a home and sell it, if it is not intended for human consumption?

You need to check with your state, county, or municipal officials.
You also reside in CA, which has some very stringent state laws and local restrictions.
I suggest you disclose your plans to municipal, county, and state regulatory officials, before you begin any production.

You could also HIRE yourself a local attorney to do the research and guide your steps appropriately.

You might ask your municipal, county, and state elected officials, because many will assist their constituents by cutting "red" tape.

2) Are there specific permits needed if I am remaking food items (fish, squid, etc.) into fishing baits for sale?

You need to check with your state, county, or municipal officials.
You also reside in CA, which has some very stringent state laws and local restrictions.
I suggest you disclose your plans to municipal, county, and state regulatory officials, before you begin any production.

You could also HIRE yourself a local attorney to do the research and guide your steps appropriately.

You might ask your municipal, county, and state elected officials, because many will assist their constituents by cutting "red" tape.

Am I making this into a bigger issue than it really is, or do I need to hire a lawyer to figure out the answers to my questions?

No, you need to prepare for a potential, long, hard slog.

If you're lucky, it'll be easier than you expect, but these days, one wouldn't think so.

Start at the city level and look up zoning and building codes to see if there are any restrictions on what kind of business you can operate in your home. Do the same at the county and state level.

Beats me.

Depends. How much money are you hoping to make with this business? If it's pocket money, do it and keep under the radar. If it's significant, hire a lawyer.

Back