Sale of dogs under false breeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamjones

Are there any laws regarding the false sale of a specified breed of dog? Two months ago, my wife and i purchased a dog from craigslist labeled as "maltipoo". We recieved various messages from the seller stating that she(the dog) will not shed and grow to be 6-9 lbs. The puppy, now four months old (according to the sellers birthdate), is 17 lbs and sheds. The vet we visited today informed us that our dog is most likely a golden retriever mix and will grow to be 50-60 lbs. I trust the judgement of this vet, as the puppy is already twice as heavy as she should be. The seller also informed us the dog was dewormed and had her first set of shots before the sale. My wife and I have since payed for the dog to be dewormed and had to redo her shots based on the vets recommendation since the paperwork we had was shady at best. I have contacted the seller and he refuses to refund the purchase or otherwise cooperate with us(exchange for correct breed). I am hoping there are some laws regarding this as my wife and I are incredibly frustrated.

Unless the seller claimed the pooch to be a purebred canine of AKC registry with a proper pedigree, you bought a mutt of unknown origins.
If that's what went down, caveat emptor, BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Agree. If you weren't provided with some sort of documentation/certification of the breed then you really have nowhere to go with this.
Perhaps the seller made an honest mistake? Apparently you were unable to tell the difference at the time of the purchase....

Craigslist is not the best place to buy a dog from. (unless possibly you are guaranteed a "pure breed" with papers - generally not though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back