Roommate's "abandoned" property

Status
Not open for further replies.

pqdtw

My situation involves a roommate who without prior notice moved to a different city, taking his personal effects (clothing, etc.), but leaving behind his furniture and television. In March, this roommate contacted me by email as I was out of town to indicate that he would be leaving the following day, but would be leaving his furniture behind, presumably to be collected at some future date.

I am the owner of the condo, and we had an oral agreement that he pay me rent each month. He had not paid for the month of March, and had indicated to me that as soon as he was able to find work in his new location, he would pay me rent for the month of March and also April. It is now June, and I have not heard from him further, despite attempts to contact him.

I am willing to keep his possessions left behind (as they are of good quality and the value of which probably exceeds the amount he owes me) in lieu of the rent that he did not pay.

The questions I have at this point:
1. Because his possessions are still in my condo, (full bedroom set of furniture), I cannot rent this room to someone else, does this imply that he still is my tenant, and as such, am I entitled to expect continuing rent payments under our original agreement?

2. When and how can I deem his property abandoned?

I am located in the city of Atlanta, state of Georgia.

He does not respond to my emails or telephone calls, and I have no physical address to which to send a registered letter. The only information that I have is that he has moved out of state.

Any information or push in the right direction of finding help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
My situation involves a roommate who without prior notice moved to a different city, taking his personal effects (clothing, etc.), but leaving behind his furniture and television. In March, this roommate contacted me by email as I was out of town to indicate that he would be leaving the following day, but would be leaving his furniture behind, presumably to be collected at some future date.

I am the owner of the condo, and we had an oral agreement that he pay me rent each month. He had not paid for the month of March, and had indicated to me that as soon as he was able to find work in his new location, he would pay me rent for the month of March and also April. It is now June, and I have not heard from him further, despite attempts to contact him.

I am willing to keep his possessions left behind (as they are of good quality and the value of which probably exceeds the amount he owes me) in lieu of the rent that he did not pay.

The questions I have at this point:
1. Because his possessions are still in my condo, (full bedroom set of furniture), I cannot rent this room to someone else, does this imply that he still is my tenant, and as such, am I entitled to expect continuing rent payments under our original agreement?

2. When and how can I deem his property abandoned?

I am located in the city of Atlanta, state of Georgia.

He does not respond to my emails or telephone calls, and I have no physical address to which to send a registered letter. The only information that I have is that he has moved out of state.

Any information or push in the right direction of finding help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Georgia has a very specific protocol that you have to follow to relieve yourself of any obligation for the property.

Here it is:

A landlord can assume abandonment if:

* The landlord does not know where the tenant is, the tenant is gone, the tenant has left behind furniture and other belongings, and the rent is unpaid for 15 days; or
* The landlord does not know where the tenant is; and rent is unpaid; and tenant`s property is gone.

The landlord must hold any property left behind for 30 days and make reasonable efforts to find the tenant.

If, after 30 days the property still remains unclaimed, the landlord may sell the items and use the money to pay back overdue rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back