Breaking a Lease Roommate trying to sue me.

williep

I'm going to keep this very short, my roommates moved another person into my bedroom, after I left for summer break and claims that they did not really move this person in, but their clothes are all over my bed. I am an illegal sublet, which I'm not legally bound between landlord-tenant laws. I'm a month-to-month tenant. After I found out this person moved into my room the following day I moved all of my things out of the house and proceeded to block all interactions (social media & cellular contact) from them so that they would not harass me for rent. They found out my e-mail and sent constant e-mails, started to berate me via social media and random numbers. They claim that they can still sue me in court for back rent, even though I was not on the lease, and all I signed was a fake document between me and the roommates saying I would pay x amount of money, but it's invalid, because written on it was "this is not the official lease, etc." What grounds do they have to sue me?

Anyone can sue anyone else at any time for just about anything. That doesn't mean the person will win. Since there is no actual lease, that works in your favor. If you are being sued for back rent for any time you did live there (even w/o an actual lease), that works somewhat in the other person's favor since you did live there & should pay for that time.

I'm going to keep this very short, my roommates moved another person into my bedroom, after I left for summer break and claims that they did not really move this person in, but their clothes are all over my bed. I am an illegal sublet, which I'm not legally bound between landlord-tenant laws. I'm a month-to-month tenant. After I found out this person moved into my room the following day I moved all of my things out of the house and proceeded to block all interactions (social media & cellular contact) from them so that they would not harass me for rent. They found out my e-mail and sent constant e-mails, started to berate me via social media and random numbers. They claim that they can still sue me in court for back rent, even though I was not on the lease, and all I signed was a fake document between me and the roommates saying I would pay x amount of money, but it's invalid, because written on it was "this is not the official lease, etc." What grounds do they have to sue me?

Immediately cease all contact with this person, block their access to any social media accounts, or simply create new accounts excluding the spammer.
You can be sued, as Betty said.
But, we can't say IF the spammer will sue you.
Not to worry, IF the spammer does sue you, because you aren't on the hook for anything.
However, IF the spammer sues you, your defense MIGHT be (should you choose to have yourself a little fun), is an illegal eviction.
Why is that?
Well, you were effectively ILLEGALLY EVICTED when, upon your return, an interloper had been moved into your room.
You, stood there like pretty, little Goldilocks, and and imitated the cute, Baby Bear, "Who's been sleeping in my bed, and has their stuff all over my bed right now?"
If you play it right, you could end up with the spammer owing you money.

In the future, mate, get your own apartment (or even a hotel room).
That whole roommate caper, it rarely ends well.

But, don't tip your hand, simply lay low, and avoid the spammer.

So you were month to month (illegally), moved out for the summer and someone else has been using the room, presumably with the blessing of the actual tenants/owner. I'm not sure what your question is. You move out and should have paid rent through the time you were living there. If you did not, I would not expect to get off scot free should this go to small claims court. The agreement you signed may not have been a legal lease but that does not mean it holds no weight. If you owe back rent, pay it.

Back