Roommate problem.

C

csobtech

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hello I recently moved in with a roommate we do not have a written agreement and only her name is on the lease due to the landlord only wanting one person on the lease. we both paid 750 which is half of the deposist needed to move. for us to move in the 1600 had to be paid and electric on. I paid to have the electric and cable on in my name. Now its mid june we moved may 16 its the june 18 and she still does not have her rent money. I had mines since the first on top of that she has a problem with my boyfriend being there. when he only there when I am there which is not even half the time due to me working 12 hours shift at night. being that her name is the one on the lease how do I handle this situation the landlord knows I live there I am the one who found that place and reached out to him I allowed her to sign instead of me so that she can feel sercure being that she was 9 months preganant at the time. this aggranement is not working due to her causing unnessarry drama within the home. one of us need to go tired to work out things with her but living with her is uncomfortable.

Adult roommates rarely work out, primarily because one pays and the other is a deadbeat.

If I were you, I'd turn the utilities off ASAP, move my stuff, myself, and boyfriend out never looking back.

Your name's not on the lease, so you're not on the hook for the rent.

Sure, you're going to lose the deposit, so what?

If you stay another month, you're going to lose your deposit money with each rent payment. A deadbeat who hasn't paid rent, won't suddenly start paying rent.

If you're happy paying for a deadbeat, stay and let her fleece you.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Judge.

I've never understood the adult roommate phenomenon. Teenagers, as a whole can't wait to leave home and get their own home. Yet, we see many adults seeking roommates.

A few of, a very few, of these arrangements work out well. Most of them end in arguments essentially you stiffed me, you're too noisy, or you're not a good housekeeper, etc.

Add into that mixture the fact we're told 50% of marriages fail, therefore one could extrapolate that statistic to roomies.

Odd, just extremely odd.

I can understand that people often think they have good reason for roommates or really do have good reason, often financial necessity.

I'm sure many such arrangements work out fine but we, who participate on legal websites, see the dark side of roommate arrangements, the dark side of financial arrangements between romantic partners, the dark side of landlord tenant relationships, and the dark side of every other type of arrangement that human beings make with each other.

I can only hope that people who are contemplating those arrangements learn from the mistakes of others and approach their arrangements with a great deal of caution and precautions.

I can understand that people often think they have good reason for roommates or really do have good reason, often financial necessity.

I'm sure many such arrangements work out fine but we, who participate on legal websites, see the dark side of roommate arrangements, the dark side of financial arrangements between romantic partners, the dark side of landlord tenant relationships, and the dark side of every other type of arrangement that human beings make with each other.

I can only hope that people who are contemplating those arrangements learn from the mistakes of others and approach their arrangements with a great deal of caution and precautions.

Yes, it can all be seen by reading the woes of others who have ended up in financial and emotional quagmires.

It never seems to end.

Many things tout how much better off you'll be by doing this, or that, even the infamous "419" scams and the promises of some fictional prince.

If my finances were ever to "tank", I'd rather be homeless, wandering the alleys and underbelly of America with my former brothers in arms than enter into a roommate situation.

That won't ever happen, because I have standing offers from all of my children, who promise to see to my well being.

As much as I love and trust them, again, I'd rather be free and homeless than in the debt of others.

Face it, my friend, we're the remaining remnants of a dying breed and tribe, "The Last of the BoomerHICANS".

Roommates can work out provided BOTH parties are mature individuals who have known one another for a very long time. Joining forces with someone you barely know, or who annoys you, or who is only acting out of desperation, or who has a history of making bad decisions, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Back