Security Deposit roommate not signed on the lease. Am I obligated to give full deposit

sndgan

Hi,

A roommate wants to take me to court for stealing because I didn't give her her full deposit back. The initial deposit was for $795 I gave her $688. I did this simply because she stole an item of mine that is worth $107. Now, take into consideration, she never signed onto the lease. There was no legal agreement made. What actions should I take? She denies stealing the item of course.

Thank you, some advice would really put my mind at ease

She can sue you in small claims court.
It's also unwise to accuse anyone of a crime without proof but on mere supposition alone.
Do yourself a favor, give her the lousy hundred bucks and make everyone's life easier.

It will cost her more than $107 to take you to court. I agree with army judge, unless you have absolute proof, you don't accuse.

You didn't steal her money.
If she does not agree with your decision to withhold money she can pursue a judgment against you in small claims court. If she does so she would almost certainly be successful as your reason for withholding the deposit is not allowed. You could be ordered to pay back the money plus the court costs, but it would be up to her to pursue it. Police will not get involved.... At least not as you have explained it here.

Give her the balance & save you both a lot of hassle.

Back