roommate issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbme

I moved to California and found a roommate who I lived with for five months in an apartment in which everything was under her name, I did not sign a lease. I paid him for rent at the beginning of each month and for utilities sometime during each month (when she got to dividing them up), a check for each. She abruptly decided to move into a new place for the second half of our sixth month and I planned to move home toward the end of the sixth month, but she said I could stay with her those two weeks. I did not think she needed a whole month's rent so I initially wrote her a check for half and she emailed me asking if it was a mistake or if I planned to "move on" after half the month. So I corrected the check and made it for the full amount. The second day in her new place, after finding out her new roommate would now be arriving in a few days, we got into a series of fights that I determined made our living situation very less than ideal, so I decided to leave the following morning. I asked for those two weeks' of rent back since I would not be living there and her new roommate would be, and she refused. She then asked how I would pay for utilities and I gave her my home address with no intention of paying for those if she wasn't going to give me back my rent money. I simply wanted to leave and be done with the fighting.

She has now emailed me with ridiculous amounts that I supposedly owe, including a higher than average utilities bill though we were only there half a month, and absurd cleaning fees that the old apartment company allegedly charged her and she had lived there before I moved in. My name was never on the lease or any utility bills there. Does she have a case and would I have to go back to Ca?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back