Roomate Roomate breaking lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinkletwinkle

My jurisdiction is: New York, NY

My roommate recently moved out of our two bedroom apartment. We renewed our lease for a two bedroom apartment less than three months ago. We always got along well, but this has left me in an awkward position of wanting to be a friend but needing to protect myself.

My roommate decided to quit her job and move back home. And our lease does not appear to have a clause to break the lease. The leasing office informed me that I can either find a new roommate or find new tenants to lease the apartment.

Further, my roommate has decided to post our apartment on craigslist and is now pressuring me to agree to a random roommate, because she cannot afford the lease as she is unemployed. I don't feel comfortable with any of the potential roommates. She is posting the apartment at less then the actual cost of rent. While she is offering to make up the difference, those attracted to the deal are less than reliable sounding and would not be signing onto the lease. Also she is encouraging those with pets to check out the place (even though it is in violation of the lease).

My roommate has broken the lease and I cannot afford to pay the total rent on my own. Am I able to notify my landlord and are they required to break the lease? Also, would I be able to collect the costs incurred for breaking the lease?

Thanks for your advice.

C

Last edited:
You should certainly tell the Landlord as he/she must approve new tenant as well. You are not forced to accept undesirable roomate(s) or accept less than the amount due in rent. Now here is where your real problem is. Your the one inside apartment so its up to "you" to pay the full rent! Friend or not your former roomate owes their share of rent until new tenant is found. This means you might be forced to sue your former roomate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back