room mate not paying

pbloomer958

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
on 9/10 I allowed a room mate to move in who is not on the lease, he has not paid the agreed amount for rent. how can i get him removed from the apt asap, with not having to do a one month notice because of potential damage he will cause. will i be able to change the locks to keep him out until he agrees to come and remove his belongings?

on 9/10 I allowed a room mate to move in who is not on the lease, he has not paid the agreed amount for rent. how can i get him removed from the apt asap, with not having to do a one month notice because of potential damage he will cause. will i be able to change the locks to keep him out until he agrees to come and remove his belongings?

You can speak to your landlord about the deadbeat.
If you try that route, don't refer to him as a roommate.
You might say he was a down on his luck and asked if he could stay at your home for 3 or 4 days.
He hasn't paid rent, so your landlord might offer assistance.

You can also call the police and ask them to remove a house-guest who refuses to leave.
You might mention that you allowed him to stay three or four days because he was down on his luck.
Four days, five days, 10 days have passed; and he refuses to leave.
However, he might say he was to be a roommate.
If there is nothing in writing, emails, or text messages, your ploy might work.
Usually the police will tell you to take the matter to court.

This is why you don't do roommates as an adult.
Most people who want to rent a room on your dime are deadbeats.
They have scammed everyone, then they find you.
They make all kinds of promises, and they never shell out one dollar.
They leech, mooch, beg, and steal you until you're tapped out, too.
If this ever presents itself again, simply say NO to roommates and/or houseguests.
Why?
You'll always get stiffed, if not robbed, raped, or killed.

If none of the above works, this is what you must do, read it and weep:

Nebraska Three (3) Day Notice to Quit | Eviction Notice | Nonpayment
Eviction Notice Nebraska - NE Eviction Notice Form
Nebraska Eviction

If your roomie is hard up for cash try offering him some....on the condition that he get himself out of the residence. Throw a couple hundred bucks his way and help him to move his things. Make it easy for him. Once he is out keep him out.
Once he is out you can talk with the landlord about changing locks, but don't change them on your own.

Back