Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.

When i was 16 years old ( i am currently 19 ) i hung out with people that all they did was look for trouble they decided to try to rob someone and that someone later on called the cops and he found out it was us and cops came to my house and hand cuffed me they didn't bring me to the police station they said that they would uncuff me in the supervision of my dad and then i gave a state my after that they came back saying that if the person that was robbed stole pressed charges then we would go to court he never pressed charges my question is does that mean it will show that i have been charged if i sign up to be come a police officer or what ?

When i was 16 years old ( i am currently 19 ) i hung out with people that all they did was look for trouble they decided to try to rob someone and that someone later on called the cops and he found out it was us and cops came to my house and hand cuffed me they didn't bring me to the police station they said that they would uncuff me in the supervision of my dad and then i gave a state my after that they came back saying that if the person that was robbed stole pressed charges then we would go to court he never pressed charges my question is does that mean it will show that i have been charged if i sign up to be come a police officer or what ?

Were you booked? In other words, did they take prints and photographs?

If not, then there is likely little more than a record of the arrest or detention in the local police records.

You will be required to reveal this to a background investigator. Hopefully this event is about 10 years in your past and you have had an exemplary school and employment record since then with no brushes with the law, alcohol problems, domestic discord, etc. Getting jammed up as part of a robbery is going to be a HUGE problem for a potential employer! If you are now barely 20 or 21, it will still be sufficiently recent to give any potential employer serious concern.

In an age of shrinking budgets and smaller police forces, these jobs can become far more competitive in many states. If it comes down to the guy who did NOT commit an uncharged felony and you, who do you think they will go with?

Actions have consequences - and your actions show a lot about who you were. Unless a LOT of good work and positive acts - and years - have been put between that act and the time you apply, you can probably kiss a career in law enforcement goodbye. If you are still young, go to school, get a degree, work hard, avoid any excessive consumption of alcohol (i.e. no barhopping, weekend binges, kid parties with kegs in the kitchen, etc.), get good friends that hold positive values, and hold down a steady job with increasing responsibility.

Good luck.

It seems like this was only 3 years ago at age 16 - currently age 19. This could be a problem for OP "currently". OP, you need to answer all questions on job applications truthfully - read carefully how the questions are worded.

Actually, I disagree. One is not required to report acts that occurred as a minor. Unless they carried over into adulthood it would be foolish. Excepting of course a high security clearance type of position.

The OP still needs to answer all questions on job applications truthfully whatever the truth may be. All questions need to be read carefully & answered accordingly.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.askthejudge.info/what-do-i-put-on-a-job-application-if-im-asked-about-prior-arrests/ (teen info - OP may want to read for informational/educational purposes - not legal advice)
It's important to read the language very carefully on any application.......

Generally, when a youth is arrested but not charged, the record should automatically be sealed. It is only accessible by juvenile court. Many non serious convictions can be expunged based on a good history.

Last edited:
My main point was no matter what the applicant's age, he/she still needs to answer all questions on an employment application truthfully unless the law in the state says otherwise - ie you can answer no to certain questions re charges/arrests/convictions in certain cases. (no one can say with certainty though that a "criminal hx" as a juvenile "might" not be seen in some cases & hurt the person currently or in the future)

I agree that "normally" a juvenile hx will not cause the person a problem but "could" based on all facts.

Actually, I disagree. One is not required to report acts that occurred as a minor. Unless they carried over into adulthood it would be foolish. Excepting of course a high security clearance type of position.

If he is looking to become a police officer he will be REQUIRED to provide that information whether he was arrested, charged, or not. At only 19 this will be a huge issue and he has a long way to go before he will even be a potential candidate for law enforcement.

Generally, when a youth is arrested but not charged, the record should automatically be sealed. It is only accessible by juvenile court. Many non serious convictions can be expunged based on a good history.
Expungement is not automatic in any state I am aware of, and neither is sealing a record. And, even if sealed, most (if not ALL) states require that the minor inform a law enforcement employer of that juvenile act, or any act which if it had been discovered would have been a crime.

He is not going to get a pass because he was a minor when he participated in some way in a crime classified as a serious, violent felony.

From the way OP described this, he was merely handcuffed.
Being handcuffed is often done for officer and suspect safety, while the officer inquires or further investigates.
The fact that the officer removed the handcuffs, and no report was written, the OP wasn't charge.

Its my considered legal opinion, that he was never arrested.
He was merely detained.
Therefore, OP wouldn't be lying if he said he was never arrested.

If an officer utters the word, YOU'RE UNDER ARREST, applies handcuffs, and later removes the handcuffs, that officer and his department would be subject to a false arrest lawsuit and claim.
I don't know many officers that stupid.

All things considered, none of us knows the REAL truth.
What we do know is that many people come on here and spew lies, plenty of lies.

Arrested or not, he will be expected to reveal this little tidbit. If he does not and it comes out (and something like that is very likely to be revealed in even a half-assed background), he will be immediately relegated to the circular file.

Understand that law enforcement applicants are asked not only about arrests but ANY police contact! And, if his name appears on any police report, they will seek that report for more information - juvenile or not.

While his age may protect him in the application process most jobs, if he has aspirations to enter law enforcement (or any government position requring secret or higher security clearances) he can either be forthcoming and honest about what happened, or choose another career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back