Consumer Fraud ripped off for $250k

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanigodsmum

My very good friend is very naive .please remember this when you read what happened. She is a nurse and her "friend". was (is) also a nurse. lets call my friend SC and her friend VA. So VAs boyfriend came to hawaii from calif. where his corp is. He told SC that if she had $100k to invest he could get her 3% a month. She took out the $100k and gave it to him and she got a promissary note from him. Then he told her he had 2 properties in La. for sale and he was going to remodel them and she could make a good return on her money. She paid cash for the 2 properties. The closing was done in La. and at a title co., She did not buy title insurance and did not need to have a lawyer present as she was paying cash. VAs boyfriend (lets call him RDC) was present and the woman from the title co. That was it. Well RDC made a few pmts. to her for the $100k . He then stopped them. She kept asking VA what is going on. and VA would just say she did not know. Well it came down to La. county started sending her "tickets" for the grass being too high and then the tax collector started with the property tax bills. She thought she would sell them and called a realtor in La. who found an interested party. This realtor told her the party looked up any liens and found one for $90k that someone had on the properties. When i looked up the tax records or the property i could not find any liens. Well she called this person with the lien and he said yes RDC owed him that money. It has come to this .. She got an attorney in hawaii. and he is ripping her off (so far) 20k for writing 3 letters and is now taking RDC to court to get an order to try to attach wages or property or what ever. He has a corp. and a web site and it is under RDC incorp. in calif. I must say at this point that i believe the "friend" VA is in on it. She drives a porche with plates that say "got money". She sends her daughter to a very expensive private school and also owns a couple properties in hawaii. She does this on an LPNs salary. I told SC to call the FBI and report it and she did. When she told me he would not take the case i called the man and he told me " well we cannot say it was misrepresentation as he never told her he was going to invest it in any specific fund or co." This is true that she never asked him. Like I said she is very very naive. She also went to the police and they fowarded her to the FBI. I also told her to write to the IRS as I am sure this couple spends a lot more than they make. Can anyone tell me what she can do?? Her attorney keeps charging her for "reviewing the file" and that is everytime she talks to him. She told him that her total amount she could spend on an attorney was 20K and he acknowledged this . She is a little over that amount now. I feel bad for her as she got ripped off very badly. The money was her savings and a loan she took out on the equity on her home. Also 80k was from her mother and she has not told her any of this yet. Any help or advise anyone can give will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. I also believe the title co. could be in on it as they told her they were only given the $300 for the notary part in it.

Talk to the local district attorney, the state attorney general, and the US Secret Service.

She may be out of luck holding paper (as in the P note).

She might have to sue the crooks.

Or, the IRS might be helpful, but visit their office and peak to one if their criminal investigators/agents.

Hello,
I am nanigodsmum's friend. Thank you so much for your response. If you have further information that you would like to share to help me out with the case please do not hesitate to contact me. I have done police report and sued RDC. I tried FBI but failed. I tried special agent but told me to do it civil suit. Why can't the special agent help me out? I have only one choice left and that is the IRS.

Mahalo, SC

SC

Hello,
I am nanigodsmum's friend. Thank you so much for your response. If you have further information that you would like to share to help me out with the case please do not hesitate to contact me. I have done police report and sued RDC. I tried FBI but failed. I tried special agent but told me to do it civil suit. Why can't the special agent help me out? I have only one choice left and that is the IRS.

Mahalo, SC

SC

I can't say why any agency says yes or no.
I can GUESS that the agency in question likely sees this as a civil rather than a criminal matter.
You do have the option of a civil lawsuit.

Thank you so much for your last response. I am currently waiting for the police investigation but this does not sound promising either. I do not know why the authorities would just let this scam get away with my $250k hard earned money. My lawyer has nothing good to say but make my case look weak while the FBI insisted that i have a good civil case. Lawyer keep asking me why can't the police and FBI get involved. I was mad at my lawyer cause he seem to be basing the case confidence only if i get help from the authorities. It seems that I wasted another 20k to fight a case I can't seem to win. I just hope this crook will someday get caught for his crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back