Rights to know assets as beneficiary

Status
Not open for further replies.

prophetic58

As a beneficiary, do I have a right to know what the assets are in a will if I am designated to receive half? I am being left in the dark in this situation. The will has been admitted to probate, but the executor has never told me what the assets are. Please advise.

The will should have been openly read to all beneficiaries prior to probate. How do you know you are a beneficiary if you have not seen the will? Are you guessing? I would intervene in the probate hearing and request a copy of the will.

Yes, I have a copy of the will. It was never offered to be read to me though. I had to call probate court to have a copy sent to me. The will only expresses that myself and the executor shall be given half each of remainder of assets, (after whatever needs to be paid, of course). I still do not know what half is. Half of what, is my question. Half of a ten dollar bill? Half of a hundred dollars? Everything seems to be such top secret. I know I could probably go to probate court and review all the documents. I would rather avoid the trip, as I live in New York. Please advise.

It is either important to you or not. If the executor wont cooperate with you, what choice do you have? You can require an accounting in court if you are concerned about the handling of the assets by the executor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back