rights of leasee on proof of triple net expenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceebee

I have a commercial triple net lease and my landlord provides me with a typed list of the operating expenses. I have repeatedly asked to see the bills that supposedly represent these expenses, and they have been putting me off for 4 months now, but they want me to sign a new lease (current one is up Jan. 2011). I do not want to sign a new lease until i can see for myself that they are billing me correctly. Because of all their "stalling", I am becoming more and more suspicious. What rights to I have to see and verify what they are charging me? They also charge me an additional 20% of the operating expenses. Is this normal?

Do not sign the new lease until you have seen the expenses.

You might consider relocating, if this is that important to you.

Yes, you should be able to see a complete accounting of your charges.

Yes, it seems suspicious and crooked.

Take the lease to a lawyer and ask him/her to review and revise it.

Ask your lawyer to add this provision:
"Make sure it requires this crooked landlord to disclose the expenses, before you are required to pay the rent. "

Remember, you can't make others do anything.

But, you sure as heck can control your own actions.

The decision is yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick response. Is there a "commission" or some sort of gov't agency that would support this? For example, if you have a problem with an insurance company, you can go to the state's insurance commissioner to resolve. I did have a lawyer read my lease and he just came up with that it state "reasonable" expenses, which should mean I should be able to review the expenses, but that was all.

Thank you for the quick response. Is there a "commission" or some sort of gov't agency that would support this? For example, if you have a problem with an insurance company, you can go to the state's insurance commissioner to resolve. I did have a lawyer read my lease and he just came up with that it state "reasonable" expenses, which should mean I should be able to review the expenses, but that was all.

In my experience that agency in most states is the court.

Ask the lawyer that looked at your lease, or call your local city hall and/or county building.

Perhaps your local city councilperson or county official might be able to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back