Right to Occupancy On Inherited Family Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

YFormel

Long story short, my sister and I inherited my parent's home after their death. She lives out of state. We made an agreement that I would buy her portion out and keep the house for myself and my kids to move into. We had been living in a condo I own for nine years and need to sell it so I can use the proceeds from that sale to put as a down payment for a loan to buy my sister's portion out. We moved into the inherited house last fall and I've spent the winter months painting and fixing the condo up to put on the market. The market we all know is slow so it has not sold yet. I was able to give my sister close to half of what I owe her through inherited stocks I had. So she does have some money. Regardless, she's very angry with me because it's taken so long to sell the condo. She recently told me she'd be coming into town this summer, as we still need to divide my mother's jewelry between us. My concern is that since she still owns half of my parent's house that my family and I are living in, does she have right to occupancy to the point where she could force her way in and stay with us during the time she is here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back