Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

remotemanbob

My friend(18 year old male) at school(a university) got caught smoking marijuana in his room. When campus police arrived to his room, they asked him where he had obtained the marijuana. Rather than taking the entire blame himself, he told the police that he had obtained it from one of my friends and gave them my name.

What had happened was that some days ago I took my friend out with me to one my friends room at a different university near by. While there, my friend asked around for marijuana and my friend whom we were visiting from this other school was able to provide him with some.

So, I get a phone call from the campus police, telling me to come down to the station. I asked what they needed me for and the officer told me he could not tell me over the phone. Immidiatly after, my father called me telling me that the police had contacted him about some marijuana charge and that i immidiatly needed to go down to the station. Now, why would they tell my father, but not me? I am 18 years old, doesn't law require for them to deal directly with me?

Anyways, I went down to the station, and the detective began asking me a bunch of questions(without ever reading me my rights, but i dont know if this is applicable. Is it?) I then told the officer what happened, that I simply had brought my friend along with me and then he went on searched for it and bought the marijuana, and the officer told me that since I was the one that brought him there, I am considered a "drug dealer". I told him this was ridiculous, but he told me other wise.

Anyways, he forced me to tell him whos room we were in at this other school. Also at the end when he asked me if I had any other questions, I politely asked why he contacted my parents, even though I was 18, and he told them what happened, but did not tell me what happened on the phone. He replied in a smartguy voice "WHO PAYS THE BILL FOR COLLEGE?", and i replied "my parents" and he said thats why. Was he aloud to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
remotemanbob said:
My friend(18 year old male) at school(a university) got caught smoking marijuana in his room.
That's a good way to get booted off campus.

What had happened was that some days ago I took my friend out with me to one my friends room at a different university near by. While there, my friend asked around for marijuana and my friend whom we were visiting from this other school was able to provide him with some.
Uh oh ... depending on the laws in your un-named state, you could be charged with an offense related to dealing if you hooked your pal up.

Now, why would they tell my father, but not me? I am 18 years old, doesn't law require for them to deal directly with me?
No. They can try and reach you through other parties and they are even free to tell him why they are trying to get a hold of you. My guess is that they wanted to light a fire under you and telling dad about it was apparently a good way to get you in ... it worked, didn't it?

Anyways, I went down to the station, and the detective began asking me a bunch of questions(without ever reading me my rights, but i dont know if this is applicable. Is it?)
If you were not in custody, no, he did not have to read you your rights. However, an attorney could make an argument that the force used (room, positioning in a room, etc.) was the equivalent of a custodial arrest and any admissions MIGHT be tossed on a challenge. However, if you were subsequently allowed to go home that argument loses a lot of steam.

the officer told me that since I was the one that brought him there, I am considered a "drug dealer". I told him this was ridiculous, but he told me other wise.
The officer was likely correct ... depending on the definitions under your state's law.

Was he aloud to do this? Any help would be appreciated.
There's no law in any state I am aware of making it unlawful to do this.

- Carl

Thank you I appreciate it. By the way, the state is Massachusetts. I still dont really understand why I would get in trouble, if all I did was bring my friend along with me, without any knowledge of him wanting to purchase marijuana, and then once we were there he just asked around, and my other friend was able to assist him. Iv just been freaking out...

remotemanbob said:
Thank you I appreciate it. By the way, the state is Massachusetts. I still dont really understand why I would get in trouble, if all I did was bring my friend along with me, without any knowledge of him wanting to purchase marijuana, and then once we were there he just asked around, and my other friend was able to assist him. Iv just been freaking out...
You hooked him up with the friend that got him the dope ... you do the math.

Look, you might be able to plea down or get out of it entirely. But if you are being fingered as the guy that facilitated the deal, you can be charged and you can be convicted.

Consult local counsel immediately.

- Carl

Google conspiracy

remotemanbob said:
what are you trying to say seniorjudge?
He's trying to say that you could be guilty of Conspiracy - collusion to purchase a controlled substance.

One does not have be directly involved in passing or paying for drugs to be part of a criminal act. If you knew about it, and assisted with the act (the purchase, transport, arranging for the hook-up, etc.) there are numerous charges that can fall into your lap.

- Carl

You have to understand that this is what the cops, courts, prosecutors, hear all the time.

This is an ancient story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back