Revocation of driver's license due to medical situation

CindiW

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
What are the laws regarding revocation of driver's license in SC due to a person with dementia, early onset? Still under 62 but with apparent dementia and receiving cancer treatment. Are doctors obligated in SC to report such a person to DOT?

Never mind the license revocation... do you think that will stop the husband from driving?

Your friend needs to keep the keys away from him, all of the keys.

Never mind the license revocation... do you think that will stop the husband from driving?

Your friend needs to keep the keys away from him, all of the keys.
She is keeping the keys from him. The problem is also with guardianship because she doesn't have money for a lawyer, and his children from another marriage aren't cooperative, he is going to neighbors asking for rides to the bank (1 hour away),they won't give him a ride, he is plunging them into debt, giving money away to strangers, but the point is also that she cannot get control of him and it's just a sad situation.

You make a great point.

The medical issue will eventually put an end to one's ability to drive, too.
I found there are only 6 states with mandatory reporting from doctors for dangerous patients to take away their licenses. South Carolina is not one of them.

I found there are only 6 states with mandatory reporting from doctors for dangerous patients to take away their licenses. South Carolina is not one of them.

Taking the license away from a person, even when the state suspends or revokes the person's license, most people are so addicted to driving they'll continue to drive even if they land in jail, kill or maim innocent people, or risk becoming an inmate in a jail or prison.

Your friend must somehow figure out a way to retain the services of an attorney to assist her in becoming the poor man's guardian.

She has a compelling and endearing story to tell, so she needs to start beating the bushes telling her story.

These organizations might be able to offer her some direction and support:

SC-South Carolina

Alzheimer's Association, South Carolina Chapter | GetCareSC

https://scaccess.communityos.org/zf/profile/program/id/82453

Alzheimer's Association | Charleston SC Alzheimer's Support Group | Charleston SC

Help and Support

Taking the license away from a person, even when the state suspends or revokes the person's license, most people are so addicted to driving they'll continue to drive even if they land in jail, kill or maim innocent people, or risk becoming an inmate in a jail or prison.

Your friend must somehow figure out a way to retain the services of an attorney to assist her in becoming the poor man's guardian.

She has a compelling and endearing story to tell, so she needs to start beating the bushes telling her story.

These organizations might be able to offer her some direction and support:

SC-South Carolina

Alzheimer's Association, South Carolina Chapter | GetCareSC

https://scaccess.communityos.org/zf/profile/program/id/82453

Alzheimer's Association | Charleston SC Alzheimer's Support Group | Charleston SC

Help and Support
Thanks again, I'll give her this information. (He's not driving now, but that's because yes, she has taken the car keys. But he's constantly pestering her and secretive about his financial arrangments. The whole thing is sad. I agree she probably should have an attorney, I'll speak to her.)

Thanks again, I'll give her this information. (He's not driving now, but that's because yes, she has taken the car keys. But he's constantly pestering her and secretive about his financial arrangments. The whole thing is sad. I agree she probably should have an attorney, I'll speak to her.)

Her family physician is also a good resource to get her the help she needs for him.

My mother and mother-in-law both succumbed to Alzheimer's disease.

As the disease progresses, if the patient is still alive, most become too much for family members to supervise and provide proper care.

It might also be time to look into outside medical care facilities, or live in 24/7/365 health care assistance.

Her family physician is also a good resource to get her the help she needs for him.

My mother and mother-in-law both succumbed to Alzheimer's disease.

As the disease progresses, if the patient is still alive, most become too much for family members to supervise and provide proper care.

It might also be time to look into outside medical care facilities, or live in 24/7/365 health care assistance.
Thanks,but he is not yet 65, in fact he is just turning 62 in a few months. I believe he is being treated for depression and dementia.Not Alzheimer's. Although they are not well off financially, and he is recklessly spending money, they apparently make too much for the state to offer them help.
Which leads me to another question which I will ask on another thread about what financial responsibilities a spouse has when the other has deceased.

Thanks,but he is not yet 65, in fact he is just turning 62 in a few months. I believe he is being treated for depression and dementia.Not Alzheimer's. Although they are not well off financially, and he is recklessly spending money, they apparently make too much for the state to offer them help.

There are support groups for dementia patients, too.

The difference between dementia and alzheimers is one with little distinction to the relatives of a person suffering from either disease.

Agreed about the small difference, if any.

A diagnosis of either disease at age 60 is worth applying for social security disability, an approval is very likely because of a number factors.

I have assisted relatives and friends similarily situated with a successful outcome.

A diagnosis of either disease at age 60 is worth applying for social security disability, an approval is very likely because of a number factors.

I have assisted relatives and friends similarily situated with a successful outcome.
Again, thanks, I'm passing the information on.

Back