Reverse Alimony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino2003

I signed the divorce papers in January 2003. We mediated the divorce in November of 2002. At that time, I owned a company. I founded the company well before I married my wife. We were only married four years. She claimed that the money in the company was community property, since I had shifted some of the funds into my personal account when I moved from a NY bank to a Texas Bank.

As I look back on the process, I am not sure I had the best legal support. The lawyer certainly took the long way, and racked up as many hours as possible.

I had to close the company in February. I mentioned that this might be an issue several times during the mediation, but no one factored this into the calculation. They also looked property taxes, income taxes and the like in their calculations. Everyone seemed real anxious to appease her.

We were married a little more than 4 years when the papers were finally signed. We did not have any children. She worked as a computer programmer, earning around 80K per year. She quit shortly before she left, and used the "poor student" act throughout the divorce process. I am not sure whether or not she attends school. My point here is that she has the capacity to work.

The community property settlement was written up as alimony. 50k up front and 3333 per month for 5 years.

The company had been streadily declining throughout 2002 and I took less than 50k in salary in 2002 and so far no salary in 2003.

In closing the company, I had extensive obligations to pay, and I have no income. I feel that my situation has changed, and I do not believe that it makes sense to continue the obligation for alimony, simply because my ex-wife refuses to work.

I would like to see the alimony reduced or eliminated. I have about 80k in my personal bank account and would like to live off that while I determine the next steps in my career.

I have not made the last 4 months payments, and she has filed a lawsuit.

Approximately, one month ago, she sent me a letter indicating that she was no longer interested in the money. However, today I received a summons taped to my door.

I am located in Texas.

What is the best approach?

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by dino2003:
I signed the divorce papers in January 2003. We mediated the divorce in November of 2002. At that time, I owned a company. I founded the company well before I married my wife. We were only married four years. She claimed that the money in the company was community property, since I had shifted some of the funds into my personal account when I moved from a NY bank to a Texas Bank.

As I look back on the process, I am not sure I had the best legal support. The lawyer certainly took the long way, and racked up as many hours as possible.

I had to close the company in February. I mentioned that this might be an issue several times during the mediation, but no one factored this into the calculation. They also looked property taxes, income taxes and the like in their calculations. Everyone seemed real anxious to appease her.

We were married a little more than 4 years when the papers were finally signed. We did not have any children. She worked as a computer programmer, earning around 80K per year. She quit shortly before she left, and used the "poor student" act throughout the divorce process. I am not sure whether or not she attends school. My point here is that she has the capacity to work.

The community property settlement was written up as alimony. 50k up front and 3333 per month for 5 years.

The company had been streadily declining throughout 2002 and I took less than 50k in salary in 2002 and so far no salary in 2003.

In closing the company, I had extensive obligations to pay, and I have no income. I feel that my situation has changed, and I do not believe that it makes sense to continue the obligation for alimony, simply because my ex-wife refuses to work.

I would like to see the alimony reduced or eliminated. I have about 80k in my personal bank account and would like to live off that while I determine the next steps in my career.

I have not made the last 4 months payments, and she has filed a lawsuit.

Approximately, one month ago, she sent me a letter indicating that she was no longer interested in the money. However, today I received a summons taped to my door.

I am located in Texas.

What is the best approach?

Thank you in advance.
This would require someone who truly understands the situation and there are situations where awards are modified. What was the basis for the amounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back