Reversal Arraignment Plea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat43z

I went to my arraignment on a bounced check at a local grocery store here in Ohio. I sat for two hours and the judge explained our choices in "guilty", "not guilty" or "no contest". Reading my summons regarding "with purpose to defraud, issue or transfer or cause to be issued or transferred a check or other negotiable instrument knowing that it would be dishonored." And "Passing Bad Checks" (plural), had me thinking to plead not guilty. The judge seemed very nice and I had never done this before or been to court and he seemed to be skipping fines and court costs with other offenses, so when I got in front of him I stated "no contest". I was given a $100.00 fine, $80.00 court cost and the restitution of $74.32 for the check...which originally was for $44.32, and 10 day jail sentence suspended. He asked if we had made restitution, which I replied "no", though we did go to the store to apologize and pay and they said it was "out of their hands".

My question is it too late to change a plea in an arraignment and after paying all the costs? I don't agree I knowingly wrote this check without funds, it was a mistake and it was one check, not several but this is how my record will read.

Any advice or answer is appreciated.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back