retro support question has me curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbie77

So there is a question someone asked about getting retro support and I have my own questions with this topic but didn't want to thread steal or anything. I really don't know how this stuff works and if i dont this may help others too. So if a child was born two years ago could the childs mother file for support and get those years worth of support back? is that the idea of what retro support is? How far back can they go? can a pregnant woman get support? once support is set up and has been in force for years can mom go back to court for her retro support?

It's not common for child support to be ordered retroactive to any point prior to the actual date of filing - but it does occasionally happen.

Usually, the child support obligation begins from the date the petition is first filed, not from the date the child is actually born, and not from the date the court actually makes the order - in this context, the order is retroactive only to the date of filing. From that point, it becomes legally enforceable with ramifications for non-payment.

Once the order is made, Mom generally cannot go back and try to get support for a time prior to when she filed.

Does that make sense?

I missed a question ;)

A pregnant woman cannot get child support until a) the child is born, and b) she files for support. Because legally, until the birth, there is no child to support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back