Retaliatory Eviction Retailiatory Eviction?

drewandjenee

My issue spans 8 years so I will try to keep it as brief as possible.

For 8 years my wife and I with our 6 children have been renting a home from her parents in Grand Traverse County, Michigan.

Over the span of the years we have tolerated some rather serious issues, and most of the time took care of them ourselves without holding rent or receiving compensation. Issues including heating, electrical, and plumbing repairs, code violations, broken windows, windows that won't open, leaks, mold, deteriorating lumber, damaged roof, no fire extinguishers, no smoke alarms etc etc, I could probably go on all day. Every time we asked for compensation or asked that they take care of these major issues, they have always threatened us with "We're just going to sell the house, you guys are going to have to move" In our defense, as shitty as our place is, it is nearly impossible to find a home meeting our size requirements in Northern Michigan at a reasonable price.

Anyway over the years we have paid our entire year rent in advance with our tax refund, convenient for us, but we lost any leverage we could have ever had. In February 2014 enough was finally enough, I presented them with 7 months rent, and told them they would need to spend the spring and summer making the home habitable. At the time, they agreed, even though I should have known better I didn't follow the proper course such as formally presenting the problems (even though they know very well what they are)

Two months ago we had a blowout because we still hadn't paid them the remaining 5 months rent (although had it ready and available in a separate bank account) And after it all calmed down they again agreed to do the repairs, and rushed over 2 days later with a rag-tag crew and stripped all the shingles and replaced them. But they did not fix the sagging boards on the backside of house, or repair the leak that pours into the basement. Then proceeded to leave a message on my machine 2 days later demanding the back rent.

Finally 2 weeks ago, we requested a sit down with them at their house, I took my tablet with me and recorded our hour long conversation. My terms where that in 2 weeks (3/11/15) I would pay the past rent (5100) but from that point forward I would setup an Escrow account and deposit every dollar until the home was in living condition, They agreed and we went on our way. I should mention first that I set the 2 week time period because we have desperately been seeking new residence but in Michigan winters there is literally NOTHING available. So yesterday, 3/11 at 12:35pm on my way to Northport (55 miles north of town) I sent them a text asking for the account number to transfer the funds, at 12:39pm they replied "12**** Thanks!" as I was on the phone with the bank I lost cell service, so we finished our work and returned to our house by 4pm, I checked the mail and found an eviction notice waiting for us, obviously I called them and they screamed and yelled and said they are just going to evict us and then repair the home after we're gone then re-rent.

My plan before the eviction notice was to use the recorded conversation as documentation and then start the process of formally notifying, and writing the letter for rent withholding.

FINALLY, My Question is this; Can the recording be used to prove my defense that I was trying to reinforce my rights as a renter and that the eviction notice was retaliatory? And also, what should I do with the $5100 now? Should I just transfer it, forcing the eviction void and proceed with the rent withholding? Or should I hang onto the money and fight the eviction? The problems with the home are pretty CLEARLY stated as landlord responsibility according to a Michigan landlord/tenant document I researched, and renters rights information.

**Also, forgot to mention, in 2008 when we originally signed the lease it was a 1 year duration, we were not provided with a copy (although I did read it carefully and nothing suspicious stood out) and they have refused to renew it since, but still collected rent. As far as my knowledge goes, when they accepted payment the lease was renewed for the original duration.

ANY help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

The Morrison's

You were a month to month tenant and were not paying your rent. Kicking you out on the street is their best option. Then they can sell the house they do not need and certainly do not want to invest anymore into. You cannot just decide to stop paying rent because you are unhappy with their response. Here is the law which you in no way appear to have followed:
http://law.justia.com/codes/michigan/2006/mcl-chap125/mcl-125-530.html

Last edited:
An eviction focuses upon a couple things, non-payment of rent, breach of the lease's terms.
An eviction is very hard to defend, if you are in arrears in your rent.
You titled your thread, "retaliatory eviction".
I suggest you disabuse yourself of such a notion.
I see nothing that would be legally considered retaliatory.
Over time relationships breakdown.
That's all I see here, a broken relationship.

Here is a reference or two on evictions in Michigan:

http://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-h...mon-defenses-and-counterclaims-eviction-cases

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tenant-defenses-eviction-action-michigan.html

Frankly, I see nothing under which you can claim a defense.
This is a simple breach of the lease terms because you didn't pay.
Yes, you have complaints, but you did nothing about those complaints, except renew year after year.

What you need to know is that the mere filing of an eviction can prevent you from renting decent housing for decades, if not the rest of your natural life.
That often precludes you from renting public housing.

How does their disregard for the condition of the property not entitle me to withhold the rent? It isn't like I am just not paying them and spending the money, I have been depositing it into a separate bank account every single month.

Also, their notice for eviction came AFTER their agreement to repair the home. The recorded conversation was me telling them that I would pay the arrears that I had been withholding so that they would have the funds to do the repairs, but that from this point forward I would again be withholding the rent until the repairs are done. Last time they agreed to my terms and then refused to do anything I had no evidence proving it so this time I do.

This time I recorded the conversation and they were HAPPY to accept the terms. Then they mailed the pay or quit after we had our conversation that I was attempting to ensure the work would be done. I have voice mails on my phone of them calling me after agreeing to the terms screaming and yelling and telling us to get out, and we hadn't spoken a word to them.

Isn't it MY RIGHT as a renter to withhold rent due to poor conditions of a rental property? The eviction process wasn't started until after I attempted to reinforce those rights. The advice I received from a local free legal help clinic agreed that a judge would most likely see it as retaliatory. He also said I could document all of the issues, proceed to court and state my claim for reduced arrears due to the diminished value of the rental property, or I could mail them a check explaining "this is what I think we owe based on the condition of the property" and if they cash it then they have accepted it.

I have attempted to reinforce these rights 3 times, every time I give in and pay the money and get completely screwed, I mean is there not a point when the landlord needs to be held responsible for the condition of the home? He has told me personally to never allow code inspectors, insurance inspectors, or permit enforcement into the home he is aware and ignoring the shotty craftsmanship and illegal work that he HAS done to the home.

The rent had been held for the 5 months because we have water pouring into our basement laundry area, single-pane glass windows that have fallen out of their frame, windows that will not open, window frames so rotted and distorted I can fit my hand between them and the house, mold in my children's bedroom where the father in-law attempted to dig a walkout basement, gave up and built a roof over it that not only blocked the fire escape window, but leaks like a sieve, Lighting and Electrical outlets that don't work that are just hanging in their place, Plus I have replaced EVERY SINGLE appliance in the home because they refused (even after the fridge they provided took a shit while we we're camping and we lost nearly $400 in food), I have had to do my own plumbing when the kitchen sink started to leak the father in-law came over and took my baking flour container off the counter and a handheld broom and wedged them underneath the drain elbow. I AGAIN had to repair that myself without compensation, I have had to replace 4 power supplies on computers because the home is not connected to a ground, and honestly I don't really know anything about the ground but he says "It is buried too deep to reach and connect" I had to buy a new counter top and have it installed because we have an L shape setup, but he only went to Home Depot and bought a Straight 8ft and left 2 cabinets uncovered before we moved in. He bought the wrong size toilet and the door wouldn't open so he cut a wall in the drywall and sunk it in, The furnace broke in the winter and rather then fixing it he brought over an electrical space heater and left me to get it repaired myself. Speaking of the electrical space heater, our Electricity bill is already $400 to $500 EVERY month and I have been begging for an Electrician to help diagnose the issue, their response "It is none of my concern."

There are rules and procedures you must follow to withhold rent. Had you read the link I gave you would know that. Since all the spoons are downstairs, you will have to figure out the large error you made by reading the link yourself.

I'm just some dummy on the Internet. You need not make what you purport to be, a legal argument to me.
I don't care, and even if I did, I lack authority to DEW NUTTIN 'BOUT IT.
You need to tell it to the judge, buddy.
Good luck with that.
I've seen this act many times.
It ends badly for the actor.

Michigan is a two party consent state for recordings.
Unless you have THEIR written consent, that recording might be problematic for you, too.

http://www.vegress.com/index.php/can-i-record-calls-in-my-state

If the property was so uninhabitable, why live there 8 years?
No answer needed. That's for YOU to ponder.

How does their disregard for the condition of the property not entitle me to withhold the rent? It isn't like I am just not paying them and spending the money, I have been depositing it into a separate bank account every single month.

Also, their notice for eviction came AFTER their agreement to repair the home. The recorded conversation was me telling them that I would pay the arrears that I had been withholding so that they would have the funds to do the repairs, but that from this point forward I would again be withholding the rent until the repairs are done. Last time they agreed to my terms and then refused to do anything I had no evidence proving it so this time I do.

This time I recorded the conversation and they were HAPPY to accept the terms. Then they mailed the pay or quit after we had our conversation that I was attempting to ensure the work would be done. I have voice mails on my phone of them calling me after agreeing to the terms screaming and yelling and telling us to get out, and we hadn't spoken a word to them.

Isn't it MY RIGHT as a renter to withhold rent due to poor conditions of a rental property? The eviction process wasn't started until after I attempted to reinforce those rights. The advice I received from a local free legal help clinic agreed that a judge would most likely see it as retaliatory. He also said I could document all of the issues, proceed to court and state my claim for reduced arrears due to the diminished value of the rental property, or I could mail them a check explaining "this is what I think we owe based on the condition of the property" and if they cash it then they have accepted it.

I have attempted to reinforce these rights 3 times, every time I give in and pay the money and get completely screwed, I mean is there not a point when the landlord needs to be held responsible for the condition of the home? He has told me personally to never allow code inspectors, insurance inspectors, or permit enforcement into the home he is aware and ignoring the shotty craftsmanship and illegal work that he HAS done to the home.

The rent had been held for the 5 months because we have water pouring into our basement laundry area, single-pane glass windows that have fallen out of their frame, windows that will not open, window frames so rotted and distorted I can fit my hand between them and the house, mold in my children's bedroom where the father in-law attempted to dig a walkout basement, gave up and built a roof over it that not only blocked the fire escape window, but leaks like a sieve, Lighting and Electrical outlets that don't work that are just hanging in their place, Plus I have replaced EVERY SINGLE appliance in the home because they refused (even after the fridge they provided took a shit while we we're camping and we lost nearly $400 in food), I have had to do my own plumbing when the kitchen sink started to leak the father in-law came over and took my baking flour container off the counter and a handheld broom and wedged them underneath the drain elbow. I AGAIN had to repair that myself without compensation, I have had to replace 4 power supplies on computers because the home is not connected to a ground, and honestly I don't really know anything about the ground but he says "It is buried too deep to reach and connect" I had to buy a new counter top and have it installed because we have an L shape setup, but he only went to Home Depot and bought a Straight 8ft and left 2 cabinets uncovered before we moved in. He bought the wrong size toilet and the door wouldn't open so he cut a wall in the drywall and sunk it in, The furnace broke in the winter and rather then fixing it he brought over an electrical space heater and left me to get it repaired myself. Speaking of the electrical space heater, our Electricity bill is already $400 to $500 EVERY month and I have been begging for an Electrician to help diagnose the issue, their response "It is none of my concern."

Last edited:
" In February 2014 enough was finally enough, I presented them with 7 months rent, and told them they would need to spend the spring and summer making the home habitable. At the time, they agreed, even though I should have known better I didn't follow the proper course such as formally presenting the problems (even though they know very well what they are) . Two months ago we had a blowout because we still hadn't paid them the remaining 5 months rent (although had it ready and available in a separate bank account) And after it all calmed down they again agreed to do the repairs, and rushed over 2 days later with a rag-tag crew and stripped all the shingles and replaced them. But they did not fix the sagging boards on the backside of house, or repair the leak that pours into the basement. Then proceeded to leave a message on my machine 2 days later demanding the back rent. "

You are five months behind on the rent and decide to withhold rent for "repairs" (when it truth you were simply withholding this rent until you could find another place to rent) and you are surprised that your landlords have initiated the process of eviction?

It would seem you should be pleased that you might be facing an eviction to move out of a house you have complained so long and so hard about.

Stop complaining. You've lived rent free for the past five months.

Gail

Back