Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft retail theft , first charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy1

I stole a game from wallmart ($60), i was caught outside the store with the game (first offense).
I told the cops i took it and showed them where it was and they put me in handcuffs and brought me back to the store.
I was released at the store with a ticket fining me $75, and said i would get a court date in the mail.
The cop said it was a "local ordnance" charge.
I was banned from wallmart.

Is this a serious case, will i need to hire a lawyer?

the violation of sec says either 6-11-2 (f) or 7-11-2 (f) or 8-11-2 (f) cant read his writing.

i am over 18.

taken from the ticket itself.

picture7dk.jpg

The image did not show up. Regardless the numbers you gave do not match the shoplfiting laws for your state. As stated the real concern is the "F" in what you posted

You say this is a local ordinance? What town or county?

The "(f)" may be a subsection and not an indicator of a felony.

thatguy1 said:
darien illinois 60561
Here it is:

8-11-2: THEFT:

A person commits theft when, with the intent to deprive the owner of the use or benefit of the property for any length of time, he knowingly:

(A) Obtains or exerts control over the property of another without the owner's permission.

(B) Obtains or exerts control over the property of another by deceiving the owner in any manner.

(C) Obtains or exerts control over the property of another when said property has been reported stolen to any law enforcement agency.

(D) Obtains or exerts control over any motor vehicle which has been towed or impounded pursuant to any section of the Illinois Compiled Statutes, or the City Code of the City, or pursuant to a lawful arrest, without first obtaining the permission of the agency that authorized the towing, and the agency or business rendering the towing service.

(E) Obtains control over property which has been lost or mislaid, and

1. He knows or learns the identity of the owner and fails to return said property, or

2. He fails to take reasonable measures to learn the identity of the owner and return said property to him, or

(F) Obtains or exerts control over any property offered for sale by any store, service station, salesman, vending machine, solicitor, or private individual without paying the full retail value of said property, and

1. Carries said property past the last location available for paying for the property, or

2. Alters or removes the label indicating the true retail value of said property.
(Ord. 0-11-92, 2-18-1992)

And, the penalty:

8-11-3: PENALTY, COMPENSATION OR RETURN:

(A) Penalty: Any person violating any provision of this Chapter shall, upon judicial finding of such violation, be fined not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).

(B) Compensation Or Return: The owner of any property shall be entitled to receive compensation for the full retail price, replacement price, or the return of such property in substantially the same condition as when it was stolen, from any person convicted of violating any provision of Section 8-11-2 of this Chapter, provided that the owner submits receipts or other evidence of the cost of such property, and further provided that the court enters an order of compensation or return. This compensation or return shall be in addition to any fine or other costs, and the court may require said compensation or return as a condition of probation, supervision, or conditional discharge. (Ord. 0-11-92, 2-18-1992)

thanks all, but im still lost.

Am i still facing criminal charges, or is this a mister meaner or do i still need a laywer?

thatguy1 said:
thanks all, but im still lost.

Am i still facing criminal charges, or is this a mister meaner or do i still need a laywer?
It appears to be a lesser crime ... in my state it would likely be a misdemeanor.

It is always a good idea to consult legal counsel when charged with ANY offense, so I would recommend you do so.

hello me again, thanks again for all the help.

But how can i find out if wallmart is pressing charges against me?

i went to the police station today, and they said they cannot do it. They told me to goto a courthouse for the information instead. Should i do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back