Restricted Particpant

Kylesullivan

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hey how it going? Anyways I was in court today as a defendant with my fiance. I presented my case and tho most the case was based on back rent. I was placed as a Restricted particpant on the document after the judgement. What does being restricted mean? Can I still file a counter claim?

I was placed as a Restricted particpant on the document after the judgement.

I'm seeing that phrase on a couple of criminal dockets. Like this one:

http://www.blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/drayapdf.pdf

But I have no idea what it means.

Can I still file a counter claim?

No. If there is already a judgment against you, it means you lost and it's too late to file a counter claim. You're supposed to file a counter claim when you first get sued, not after you lose.

You can file an appeal if you don't agree with the judgment.

I'm seeing that phrase on a couple of criminal dockets. Like this one:

http://www.blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/drayapdf.pdf

But I have no idea what it means.

No. If there is already a judgment against you, it means you lost and it's too late to file a counter claim. You're supposed to file a counter claim when you first get sued, not after you lose.

You can file an appeal if you don't agree with the judgment.

So can I appeal and file a counter suit in higher court?

Your appeal is filed in the same court, but if you are going to appeal you had better have a good legal basis. Simply disagreeing with the judgment won't get you anywhere.
I'm not familiar with the term, but being a restricted participant might prevent you from taking any action. Was there a co-defendant?
The court clerk can probably tell you what the term means and what limitations are imposed.

Your appeal is filed in the same court, but if you are going to appeal you had better have a good legal basis. Simply disagreeing with the judgment won't get you anywhere.
I'm not familiar with the term, but being a restricted participant might prevent you from taking any action. Was there a co-defendant?
The court clerk can probably tell you what the term means and what limitations are imposed.

There was a co defendant.. Yes

Please don't open new threads on what is essentially the same topic. Your other post is deleted. Add the question here and keep all discussion here. While you are at it you might try to explain your situation better by providing some background. Thanks.

Hey how it going? Anyways I was in court today as a defendant with my fiance. I presented my case and tho most the case was based on back rent. I was placed as a Restricted particpant on the document after the judgement. What does being restricted mean? Can I still file a counter claim?

I suggest you read this excellent tutorial on landlord-tenant lawsuits authored a PA magisterial judge.

It provides deep insight to the appellate process in regard to landlord-tenant legal disputes.

http://www.court.co.lancaster.pa.us/DocumentCenter/View/114

The appellate process in PA isn't something for novices.

It can't hurt you to discuss your predicament with a couple licensed PA real estate attorneys.

I'll try to offer you a little assistance , but I need for you to explain how the matter in which you were named a defendant came to end up before a magisterial judge, if my assumptions are correct.

If it wasn't before a magisterial district judge, who heard the matter in question?

If the matter was heard before a magisterial district judge, who heard your case?

Please be concise, but explain just who you are in this matter, who leased the premises in questions, and how the landlord thought someone had defaulted on the lease, or breached their duties in regards to the lease.

I'm guessing you weren't on the lease, someone you lived with had a lease.

You either moved in after the lease was established, or weren't revealed to the landlord when the lease was created.

If no written lease was in place, you weren't a party to the statutory lease created under law.

Therefore you have limited rights in this matter, and the court designated you as a restricted participant.

Bottom line SOMEONE (the defendant) has 30 days to enter an appeal, and the court notes TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE.

NOTE: For matters involving tenant-landlord possessory disputes, the appeal must be taken within 10 days!

Back