Restraining orders or no contact orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mina

My half-sister and I have been arguing for a while because she says that last year I claimed I'd have killed myself if it wasn't for the fact that she had a baby. This is completely untrue. She's been making a lot of things up, and our exchanges have become very heated, except that neither of us has ever threatened the other. Suffice it to say she hasn't let me see my niece (who is now 2) for over 6 months.

I just sent her an e-mail and told her I never want to talk to her again, stating my reasons. I was not violent nor did I ever hint at violence. However, 3 years ago I did spend 3 days in a mental hospital - because I was suicidal, not because I was feeling like harming anyone else. (My half-sister only found out because her mother (no relation to me) works at the hospital, saw me there, and told her - a whole issue in itself.)

I'm worried, what with all the lies she has been telling, that she is going to try to file some kind of no-contact order. First of all, since I've never threatened her in any way, could she get one? Secondly, will the mental health issue (for what it's worth, I'm out of therapy now and considered recovered) play against me?

If she does file one, what will happen to me? Will the police deliver it, or will I get it in the mail? Will it be in my "permanent record?" If people do a background search on me in the future (say for a new job), will that come up? Again, I've never been violent towards anyone nor have I threatened violence - EVER.

Should I attempt to file a pre-emptive restraining order? I doubt I could get one, since she is very manipulative and always plays the victim...and I don't want to be sacked with filing false charges either.

I realize this is all complicated, but I am mainly worried about what it will do to my future if she attempts to file one. I already have reason to suspect she called one of my employers and got me fired... though no proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back