Restraining Order Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jel3111

On 5/12 I suffered a Toxic Psychosis from a medication, alcohol, and drug mix. This is the first this has happend to me. During the Psychosis (which I do not recall very well), I made threats to my ex-girlfriend that were completely extreme in nature. After being removed from her house by the police, I was subsequently admitted to my local hospital's crisis unit for a period of 5 days. I was evaluated and diagnosed with the afore-mentioned. Being out of control like I was scares my alot, so I have made the decision that drinking and substance abuse will no longer be a part of my life. The day after being discharged I began attending AA meetings daily. I have also scheduled counseling. I have an RO hearing next week (5/25). I am concerned that having an RO will impact my professional career (cori checks). I am a professional that works with finance and government contracts (my employer). I also am concerned that having an RO on my record will make it so I can never coach my daughters soccer team, or volunteer with her school. I do not have the money available for defense.
Do I have any chance of defending myself during the hearing? I am willing to have the court order drug testing, counseling, whatever is necessary to keep this from going on my record.

Last edited:
Sure, you'll be allowed to represent yourself.

You'll be given an opportunity to address this situation.

Good thing you're agreeable to the court orders, they'll be issued anyway.

Your compliance will make it easier.

Don't expect the RO to be removed because you now regret your actions.

Courts are reluctant to recall these orders because if someone were to be hurt at a future date, the court wouldn't hear the end of it.

This order may one day be recalled, don't expect it to be this soon.

You're wise to be worried about the RO.

I'd be more concerned about the substance abuse allegations!!!!

If this worries you, break down and hire an attorney.

There are things far more damaging, potentially, than a lousy RO.

Do you think that the court will take in to consideration that I will most likely lose my job due to the RO and therefore the ability to support my daughter? I spoke with my company's obudsman about the RO and the potential to lose my job does exist.

Do you think that the court will take in to consideration that I will most likely lose my job due to the RO and therefore the ability to support my daughter? I spoke with my company's obudsman about the RO and the potential to lose my job does exist.

Honestly?

No.

The court is more concerned that you'll do this again and actually harm someone next time.

Unfortunately for you, these are merely consequences for choices you've made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back