Other Criminal Procedure Restitution- Third Parties

Miikkeell

Jurisdiction
Ohio
In 1997 I turned myself in on charges of RSP, Forgery, Theft. I plead not guilty and was represented by a public defender. In 1998, my public defender recommended I plea guilty to a lesser charge of 2 cts of theft, 1 ct of misuse of credit cards, and 1 ct of passing bad checks. I do so. The next hearing, my attorney did not show up, so another public defender was in court and agreed to stand in. She requested a motion for discovery. What happened was, I worked for a temp service. They placed me at Bocko Inc. doing accounts payable/receivable. I wrote myself checks (tons of them) and took the company credit card as well as a $50 bill, cashed the checks at various United Banks in the area, and fled to Florida before stopping at the mall to buy clothing and luggage with the credit card. I was ordered hundred of hours of community service (which does not show up in the docket) and to pay restitution to be determined by Probation department, and serve 5 yrs of community control, follow all rules. The next hearing said, I had to pay $50 to Bocko Inc, $8,970 to United Bank, and court costs, as well as attorney fees, follow all rules and that was it. The docket shows I filed an affid. of indigency as well. After 5 years, I was brought back for not paying off the entire amount, and thrown into prison for 60 days and then put back on probation for 5 more years. Then that time passed and I was told on my last day to sign a promissory note or go to prison. Since then, I made a few more payments and that was it. I paid a total of $1,150 maybe. Since then, I have been unable to get jobs, my own apartment, nor file for expungement. I have been denied jobs and while in college, I lost thousands because my degree in healthcare is not valid because of my felony. So here is the question.

United Bank is arguably the victim. Technically, they aren't but say that they are. Even though, they reimbursed Bocko Inc,, The bank had insurance or a bond that covered theft. They only paid a deductible. So their economic loss is not almost 9 grand. It's more than likely, $500. The real victim is the insurance company that paid the bond to protect the bank from theft. The law allowed back in 1996, restitution to be made to third parties, such as insurance companies or financial institutions, only if they were named in the indictment. Then in 2004 the law was amended. The conflict arises from the former version of Ohio's restitution statute, R.C. 2929.18(A)(1), which permitted a court to award restitution to third parties, including insurers. See former R.C. 2929.18(A)(1), 148 Ohio Laws, Part III, 5767, 5785 (an order of restitution "may include a requirement that reimbursement be made to third parties for amounts paid to or on behalf of the victim or any survivor of the victim for economic loss resulting from the offense"). The General Assembly removed that language from the restitution statutes, effective June 1, 2004. 150 Ohio Laws, Part III, 3914 (deleting language from R.C. 2929.18(A)(1) for felonies) and 3922 (deleting language from R.C. 2929.28(A)(1) for non-felonies).

All things aside, the economic loss regardless, is just the deductible. I know it has been 20 years almost since my conviction and I still owe 8 grand, but I want to get an expungement and I received a letter in 2015 from the clerk of courts demanding $7,800 immediately. I am not a law student, how was I to know the laws of restitution had changed. How was I to catch this mistake that my lawyers, probation officers, and judge missed? How could they not realize that United Bank only paid a deductible? So, I ask of you, what do I do? Where do I start? There was no victim impact statement listed in the docket. There was none read at court. 10 yrs of probation served, 300 hours of community service completed, $1,200 paid so far, and soon to be 20 yrs has passed. When the laws changes the rules, does it apply to me? They no longer allow third party recovery.

You were ordered to pay a certain amount of money back. You owe that money. Period. You can make all the excuses in the world, but this is no one's fault but your own. You don't get to play the victim and minimize the impact. It is clear you still haven't learned a darn thing. The true victim is not just out a deductible, assuming the insurance even covered the whole loss. They are also out a whole lot of money in legal fees, have increased premiums, wasted time and money investigating the crime you committed, and more.

You were ordered to pay a certain amount of money back. You owe that money. Period. You can make all the excuses in the world, but this is no one's fault but your own. You don't get to play the victim and minimize the impact. It is clear you still haven't learned a darn thing. The true victim is not just out a deductible, assuming the insurance even covered the whole loss. They are also out a whole lot of money in legal fees, have increased premiums, wasted time and money investigating the crime you committed, and more.

I never claimed to be a victim. The only attorney used in court was my public defender. There was no money spent investigating the crime on their behalf, as I turned myself in, saving them the investigation. From a legal standpoint, restitution is not intended to be a windfall for insurance companies or financial institutions. The court is not a free collection agency. Whatever amount the insurance company paid is unambiguously and by definition not a "detriment suffered by a victim".
As for my rehabilitation. I was only in trouble one time in my life. This happened when I was 18 years old, 20 years ago! I have since, graduated top of my class with not one, but multiple college degrees. I have been active in my community, volunteering for numerous causes, I created a multi-billion dollar plan to eliminate debt from the federal government deficit and it is now in the stages of being tested. I have numerous awards for being an outstanding citizen and for my contributions to society. I am well rehabbed. Before you go making personal biases, understand that the law is in favor of fairness. The law states that only the actual victim can be compensated only if they were not reimbursed by another source. If your mother gave you money to pay your rent, and one of your friend's stole that money, you are the victim not your mother. Even if your mother repays your rent after the crime, she is still not the victim. The money belonged to you, not your mother. In my case, the bank did not have to pay the funds back to Bocko Inc. Bocko Inc, should have sued my employer, the Temp Service. The bank's insurance company, has a right to come after me, had they filed a claim for loss, but they did not.

Here it is:

I want to get an expungement and I received a letter in 2015 from the clerk of courts demanding $7,800 immediately.

You may be right in everything you've said but, guess what, it's all irrelevant.

You want an expungement. The court wants $7800. The court has absolutely no obligation to expunge your records. Therefore, if you want the expungement bad enough you pay the $7800. If you don't pay, you get on with your life without the expungement.

It's that simple.

Wishing and hoping and talking about laws and technicalities isn't going to change that.

Here it is:

You may be right in everything you've said but, guess what, it's all irrelevant.

You want an expungement. The court wants $7800. The court has absolutely no obligation to expunge your records. Therefore, if you want the expungement bad enough you pay the $7800. If you don't pay, you get on with your life without the expungement.

It's that simple.

Wishing and hoping and talking about laws and technicalities isn't going to change that.
Well, I guess we will see. I'm hoping an actual lawyer responds. I've read Supreme Court cases in which people in my situation in my state were all granted changes and even expungement. I'm guessing I'll have to file a motion for assignment of error to get it corrected and then file to expunge my record. I was in high school when this happened but it did not go on record till I was 18 and entering 12th grade. Expungement is an act of grace, so it is not guaranteed approval. I'm friends with many government officials including the governor, so my last option was to request a pardon. I work for Homeland Security so I don't need an expungement, but if I want to get promoted I'll need to be able to carry a fire arm, that is why I want the expungement.

I can guarantee you the bank didn't just take the word of an 18 year old thief as to the extent of your crime, nor did they waltz into court the day of trial without paying any legal fees or spending any time preparing. If all this happened prior to starting college, you have no one to blame but yourself for not doing your due diligence before obtaining a degree in a field where your work prospects would be limited.

Given that this was hardly a one time lapse in judgement, and that in the 20 years since you haven't complied with the restitution order, nor did you apparently appeal (or successfully appeal) the order, getting this expunged is unlikely at best. If your buddy the governor wants to pardon you, he may. Do not expect that decision to be taken lightly, or made easily.

If anyone expects a pardon from Kasich, the person should light a fire under him.

Kasich's term ends in January of '19.

He's term limited, so he can't run for reelection.

So he can pardon Jack the Ripper if he wants to.

Jack The Ripper can't be pardoned by an Ohio governor because his crimes were allegedly committed outside the jurisdiction of the state known as Ohio, even the United States.

The post was made because pardons take months to process.

Back