Responsibility of Authorized user vs. joint account holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladybug1111

Hello-

I would like some advice concerning the responsibility of an authorized credit card user vs. a joint account holder...I had filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy last october, I had included in my bankruptcy petition all my credit cards.......

The credit card we are concerned about at the present time is my original Target Visa card.....

I've since received a discharge by the way from my chapter 7 bankruptcy case........

The Target Visa card in mention was originally issued in my name only, just before I had filed bankruptcy I had added my husband to my account as an authorized user, not a joint account holder....

Target had taken my name off this credit card account and added my husband as a "joint account holder" deeming him solely responsible for this credit card account. balance...

My husband never used this card, or signed any credit card application, they want someone to pay this debt, that's why they changed my husband's "authorized user status" to "Joint account holder status".....Is this legitimate?.......

What we both want to know is, who is responsible for the remaining balance on this credit card?.....What recourse can we take to resolve this issue w/ the collection agencies that won't leave us alone.........

My husband has disputed this debt about 6 months ago with another collection agency, we asked them to verify this debt, all the provided us with was photo copies of the last 3 years of credit cards billing statements, and that was it, where it clearly showed that all the charges were made by me alone.....

They never provided us with any substancial proof that this debt now belongs to my husband.........

We just received a letter yesterday from another collection agency concerning this account, they want my husband to pay off this debt. We have disputed this debt again w/ this new collection agency, in writing asking them to please verify/validate this debt for us....

What are are options here?.....Will my husband have to pay this debt or not?.........Is he soley responsible for my credit card debt that has been disharged through my personal chapter 7 bankruptcy case.......

Thanks for your time and help!

Best regards, Marcy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back